Kasilofchrisn

Tying hackle on a Rooster tail shaft?

Been trying a bit to make a Rooster tail imitation.

Having a little trouble tying the hackle to the wire shaft.

Any tips for tying the hackle on the wire shaft?

I have a Hagens bender and just recieved a Twistech from Barlows.

My buddy wants to work on these together hence buying the twistech.

I do have fly tying vises, bobbins, and everything else one could need.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Should be very easy to tie directly onto the wire shaft.  I have made several "Rostertail" type spinners without any problem.  Attache the loop the holds the hook into the vice and go to town.  Much easier to tie the wire shaft than the hook. No sharp points to deal with.

The logic behind tying the shaft instead of the hook is the hook points are near the tip of the tied in hackle instead of being half way up and inside the hackle collar resulting in fewer missed strikes.  Worn and tattered hackle can easily be replaced on the wire shaft at anytime.  The only part that is different is the whip finish when done.  You could just use a couple of half hitches and follow up with a good head cement.  UV cure is great, one coat and done.

You could also get some thin poly tubing that's used to tie 'Tube flies". Pre-tie onto about 1/4" sections and slide over the wire.

55 minutes ago, Kasilofchrisn said:

I have some authentic Rooster tails to pattern after.

I did find it easier to put the hook on and then put the wire in the vise to tie.

Just having trouble getting the hackle to come out looking right.

Guess I just need more practice in hackle tying.

Try posting your question in the Fly Tying Forum.

What I do is I clamp the spinner in the vise by the back loop and have it angled down to keep your spinner body at the top so you have exposed wire to tie to. Take some brush on super glue and apply to the wire and then begin making wraps with your thread,  I like to get a little bit of thread build up at the top of my starter wraps to keep the lure body from sliding down on the hackle.  Once you have a good thread base started being to tie the hackle in beginning at the bottom just above the hook loop. Tie the tip on first and then start to palmer or wrap the hackle making sure to keep it tight.  Remember, when I said tie the hackle by the tip what I meant was the tip of the hackle you have, for me I like the barbs to stick out just like the original rooster tail so I only want the mid size barbs which means I cut the bottom 1/4" -1/2" off my feather before tying. You also don't want to use the heavy part of the stem or quill, so getting good hackle with long barbs is important. The last tip I can give you is to use a rubber band or string of some type to hold the hook out of the way,  when my spinner is clamped in the vise the treble hook will want to fall and get in the way, so I put a small rubber band around the hook and the other end to a spot on my vise and the hook will stay in place and not get in the way, I hope this helps a little bit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kasilofchrisn said:

I have some authentic Rooster tails to pattern after.

I did find it easier to put the hook on and then put the wire in the vise to tie.

Just having trouble getting the hackle to come out looking right.

Guess I just need more practice in hackle tying.

If I remember correctly with rootertails the hackle is tied on top of a build up of thread causing it to flare  more 

I am away from home for work but when I get home in a few days I will look at a rooster tail and figure it out

I don't make rooster tails but I make other dressed lures and I am a talented fly tier so I will have it figured out as soon as I put a rooster tail in my hand and look at it

if no one solves your issue I will have the answer for you in a few days