spbubba

paintbrush help

I am using a Iwata-Medea Revolution CR Dual Action airbrush to paint cranks. I am a total rookie and this is my first real issue. When i tighten the nozzle cap finger tight it restricts paint flow. If i loosen it half a turn flow returns but pattern is affected. I have replaced the nozzle cap and needle without improvement. Help please.

I’ve never heard of an Iwata problem with parts fitment, assuming you are using the correct parts, so my first suspicion would be a buildup of dried paint partially clogging the end cap hole.  Dried airbrush paint doesn’t clean out entirely even when flushed with a solvent like acetone, so you need to disassemble and soak the airbrush in a dedicated airbrush cleaning solution overnight occasionally to soften and remove those deposits.  That’s what I’d do first before thinking a part was damaged, misaligned, or the wrong part.

The needle on a Revolution fits into a very small Iwata nozzle so unless it has been forced and split the nozzle, it’s fairly fool proof.  There’s always the possibility that a replacement part was the wrong part for your model.  If you have the original parts, I’d refit them to see if the problem persists, just to check.  If it does, I’m betting the airbrush needs a soak in restorer.  I’m pretty good about cleaning mine with acetone between sessions but after a few months, a soak in restorer still removes an amazing amount of gunk.

• Like 1