Mad Moose Baits

Question for the centrifugal casting crowd...

I am building my own centrifugal casting setup. 12" molds. My question is on the mold ring/can: for a 12"x1" how much does the "lip" on the lid of the can go into the cavity? It looks like about 1/4" to me. I have a local machine shop that can make me a can for a fraction of what I would pay for "the real thing". The parts being cast are spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, so a 1" mold should do the trick.

My plan is to put mold in place and then the lid using large CClamps to add the pressure. 

I look forward to the replies and thank you in advance.

Oh ....I am going DIY due to limited funds and let's face it, if we weren't DIY types we wouldn't be here.

Just now, dlaery said:

I don't understand what you mean by:

"question is on the mold ring/can: for a 12"x1" how much does the "lip" on the lid of the can go into the cavity? It looks like about 1/4" to"

The pictures I have seen of mold cans, the lid has kind of a "lip" or disc that presses down on the mold inside the can providing the pressure on the mold rubber.

1 minute ago, dlaery said:

mine has no lip. Just 2 round flat aluminum disks. the important part is getting the mold in the center of the mold. I guess if you have a lip a 1/4' tall on the bottom disk then the mold would fit in and then that would keep the mold in the center.

This is the frame to make (vulcanize) the mold, not the part that spins the mold and you pour the lead in. We may be talking about two different things

this is what I have been taught, during vulcanizing, if the lid touches the 1 inch frame, then the mold may not vulcanize properly. meaning it didn't get enough pressure to squeeze the rubber to fill in all of the detail leaving a bad spot in a cavity. 

My frame is taller and I put in a 1/2" spacer disk on top of the mold, so I can may a 1-1/2" thick mold if necessary. 

I went and checked the lip on the bottom and found out I measured the bottom disk when I told you 1/4 inch

the bottom disk has a 1/4 in lip and the top has 1/2 inch.