Les Young

Misting paint on belly of lures?

I haven't found an orange nail polish that would put on a mist coat.  I guess you could add some orange to a bottle of clear polish, drop by drop, until you get it thin enough to work.  Maybe adding some fine orange flake to clear polish will also work.

But if the bait was for my own use, I would wipe the bait down with clean denatured alcohol, mist on orange Createx transparent, and then, once I'd heat dried it, I would spray two coats of Rustoleum X2 Gloss Clear Acrylic.   Just don't let the X2 lay against a soft plastic for any length of time, or the clear will soften.

Copic air brush is exactly what you need. I use a Copic brush on fly rod poppers to tint just like you are doing except in a smaller way. Increase the distance between the brush and lure to give a soft blush.  Don't mess with the small cans of propellant. You can rig it to run on any compressed air system you have.

1 hour ago, JimP said:

Copic air brush is exactly what you need. I use a Copic brush on fly rod poppers to tint just like you are doing except in a smaller way. Increase the distance between the brush and lure to give a soft blush.  Don't mess with the small cans of propellant. You can rig it to run on any compressed air system you have.

That looks like a slick setup!  Do you have to top coat over the ink once you've shot it onto a hard bait?

Mark: A top coat will be required if you want the paint (actually an ink) to be durable.  The ink is alcohol based and most colors are transparent. Some folks have a problem with colors running under the clear.  As long as you can apply a fast dry (non-alcohol based) intermediate layer you can use almost anything as a top coat. 

I should also add this does not replace a regular airbrush since its is not capable of the level of detail of a good airbrush.  For tinting and adding scales it works well and is very inexpensive, the pens seem expensive but last a long time and are refillable.

As with anything new to your system experiment before using on the final step of a labor intensive lure.

IMG_3046.JPG

Edited by JimP
Resize photo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimP said:

Mark: A top coat will be required if you want the paint (actually an ink) to be durable.  The ink is alcohol based and most colors are transparent. Some folks have a problem with colors running under the clear.  As long as you can apply a fast dry (non-alcohol based) intermediate layer you can use almost anything as a top coat. 

I should also add this does not replace a regular airbrush since its is not capable of the level of detail of a good airbrush.  For tinting and adding scales it works well and is very inexpensive, the pens seem expensive but last a long time and are refillable.

As with anything new to your system experiment before using on the final step of a labor intensive lure.

IMG_3046.JPG

Thanks.

Nice looking baits!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Les Young said:

Ordered what I thought was bone/ orange belly one knocker spooks & looks like i’m getting plain bone color instead. How would you  mist the orange belly on them or for what i’m  wanting would you just use a very light orange nail polish? Thanks

While not a big fan of rattle cans.  Have used Testors Model Master Dodge Hemi Orange and didn't clear on some chrome traps.

• Like 1

Lee do you have an airbrush setup, or are you lookin for other ways of adding the orange?

Orange Sharpie marker is easiest way. Fish wont care if its misted or not. Or bruch on orange acrylic water based paint from Wallymart and clear it with clear nail polish

Createx Irid orang make a nice misted color if you are airbrushing.

DSCN0470.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MonteSS said:

Lee do you have an airbrush setup, or are you lookin for other ways of adding the orange?

Orange Sharpie marker is easiest way. Fish wont care if its misted or not. Or bruch on orange acrylic water based paint from Wallymart and clear it with clear nail polish

Createx Irid orang make a nice misted color if you are airbrushing.

DSCN0470.JPG

Montess, no I don’t have an airbrush setup. I may try the sharpie if I can fine a light enough orange colored one. I thought about nail polish if I can find a real light orange then clear coat it with hard as nails. Thanks.