Tuna

Krylon Fusion - Prime and Topcoat

How about Krylon Fusion? Made in satin and gloss. A few years ago I painted three sets of vertical blinds (about 200 4" blades). Both sides of the blades were painted black, then both sides coated with my wife's color preference. This created sun blocking vertical blinds. The only prep I did was wash with light solution on Dawn dish soap, rinse and allow to fully dry. Fusion laid real nice and seems it absorbed into the plastic blades. After hanging for the past years, banging together on window open windy days we have yet to see any chipping anywhere even on the edges, no marks or damage. Passed the fingernail scratch test too! Sold on this stuff. Thought about doing a base coat with it and now maybe experimenting with as a top coat also.

Clear spray link:

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-2444-Fusion-Plastic-Clear/dp/B001TNMWBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510670370&sr=8-1&keywords=krylon+fusion+clear&dpID=41xtt6nMi4L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Like 1

Glad to hear it will work for base coat. Still want to try it for the finish coat. Not much odor to it either.

Walmart and True Value used to carry it but have since switched to ColorMaxx, tried it, not as good as Fusion.

Ace Hardware, order online for $5.99/can, pick up in store, 31 colors + clear plastic finish coat gloss.

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?view=full&kwCatId=&kw=fusion&origkw=fusion&sr=1&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F2568447&lmdn=Category

Do It Best Hardware, order online for $5.49/can, pick up in store, 30 colors + clear plastic finish coat gloss.

https://www.doitbest.com/search?utf8=✓&category_id[]=&q=krylon+fusion&button=search

2017-11-14 15_10_13-Krylon Fusion 12 oz Spray Paint Gloss Clear - Spray Paint - Ace Hardware.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used Krylon Fusion when I first started out painting plastic crankbaits.  Seemed like the perfect application, bonds to plastic and I used white for my base coat.  I had some trouble with the baits failing at the seams and I asked the outfit I bought the blanks from and they had not heard of this problem.   I suspected that it bonds to plastic but it doesn't get along with the glue that bonds the two lure halves together.  I started priming with Createx and never had any more baits open up at the seam.  Keep that in mind if you are using it for a basecoat on plastic cranks.

I didn't think to try the clear for a top coat and I like that idea.

• Like 2

I got curious so I left a message for Krylon Product Group. I asked if Fusion Clear was available in liquid and if it would be a waterproof finish on the plastic blanks I work on. Here's their response:

KpgIndust.PNG
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to contact KPG.  We are grateful to have a chance to help.

We don't have anything for that type of application.  Nothing in our line is rated for submersion in water.

We appreciate you letting us have the chance to help.  If there's anything I didn't answer today, please don't hesitate to write back and I'll reply as quickly as possible.

Respectfully,
Roger

KPG Industrial Product Support

• Like 1

I think that most of the rattle can products, most of the urethanes and lacquers, indeed most all clears would get a similar response.  Most have been used for lures anyway, but if they were left submerged for long periods I doubt they would hold up.

Even 5 minute epoxies have the same issue.

Sometimes I think we are chasing rabbits down the rabbit hole looking for the holy grail of clears.

• Like 1