Nathan

What kind of wood is this?

A little background...I work in a building located in Clinton Mo...The building was built in the mid 1880’s...They were doing some remodeling and I snagged this scrap from a floor joist they had cut..This piece of wood is about 130 yrs old...just beautiful..just as clean on the inside..This is why I love wood!!..Can anyone tell me what it might be?

I’m going to make a lure out of it for my boss..Just going to leave the wood raw with a good top coat...Nathan

06440E10-8760-4A68-A237-B10CF6D8CB81.jpeg

As pointed out likely is douglas fir as fairly common in  construction in pre WW II.   Usually  has  pretty distinct odor when cut (resin) even on old stuff.  

The quartersawn exposed grain on your cut looks like what I typically have observed.    Close up photos of the end  grain photos can be very helpful for many wood species ID.

Edited by Travis

In underground shoring of ditches, douglas fir is the only wood that be used to construct these types of surpports. We in that day had to know what it looked like. From the pic I agree that is douglas fir. Douglas Fir is a grainy wood, however its very strong and can take a horizontal stress like no other wood.