SW Lures

Rustoleum Clear Coats

Meatball, I have been using Rustoleum like Mark is talking about. I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear also for over three years now, when no one talked about using these products. It takes a lot of coats to get that glass looking finish, about 5-6. There are some pro's for it, it is rugid, it does dry fast and it does well with bleeding.

I also dip KBS (Nathan) too, which I like.  It's useful and is relatively cheap if your not looking for that high gloss/wet look. I have a bait that I have just retired (my first hand made bait) that is over three years old and has caught some nice fish, which has this as a clear coat. These coates are the original coats. Just thought you would like to know.

If I would recommend KBS, I would recommend dipping. Less toxin in the air your breathing. If a rattle can or shooting it........... think safety...safety....safety.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SW Lures said:

Meatball, I have been using Rustoleum like Mark is talking about. I use Rustoleum Crystal Clear also for over three years now, when no one talked about using these products. It takes a lot of coats to get that glass looking finish, about 5-6. There are some pro's for it, it is rugid, it does dry fast and it does well with bleeding.

I also dip KBS (Nathan) too, which I like.  It's useful and is relatively cheap if your not looking for that high gloss/wet look. I have a bait that I have just retired (my first hand made bait) that is over three years old and has caught some nice fish, which has this as a clear coat. These coates are the original coats. Just thought you would like to know.

If I would recommend KBS, I would recommend dipping. Less toxin in the air your breathing. If a rattle can or shooting it........... think safety...safety....safety.

I bought some KBS, but I haven't tried it yet because I'm nervous about storage without it going bad.

How do you store it between dips?

Did you tap the can with the KBS, or just shoot bloxygen into the can before you close it?

10 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I bought some KBS, but I haven't tried it yet because I'm nervous about storage without it going bad.

How do you store it between dips?

Did you tap the can with the KBS, or just shoot bloxygen into the can before you close it?

I use mason jars, wide mouth. I also use bloxygen, but as I'm using it I found contaminates in the bottom of the jar. I now use tack cloths before dipping. Nathan told me and all of us to use a solvent to thin it back down (can't remember the name), I havent had to use it yet.  I am going to try Rustoleun layer as a shield, then wipe them down. I just don't know if they will act well together. I'm also thinking about brushing KBS again but it never really leveled out to my liking. May need to use a turner.

3 hours ago, SW Lures said:

I use mason jars, wide mouth. I also use bloxygen, but as I'm using it I found contaminates in the bottom of the jar. I now use tack cloths before dipping. Nathan told me and all of us to use a solvent to thin it back down (can't remember the name), I havent had to use it yet.  I am going to try Rustoleun layer as a shield, then wipe them down. I just don't know if they will act well together. I'm also thinking about brushing KBS again but it never really leveled out to my liking. May need to use a turner.

Thanks.  I just ordered some of their thinner.

Edited by mark poulson

9 hours ago, SW Lures said:

You don’t want to turn lures when using KBS.  Doing so will cause bubbling to occur.

• Thanks 1

Mark,

can you get Xylene in Ca.?..That’s what I thin with..I also use Bloxygen when closing the jar...But this stuff is ridiculously easy to use..dip and hang..2-3 coats a hour or so apart...I’ve only had one problem with the jar going off..but that was my fault..I got lazy and didn’t seal it up correctly.A good tough top coat with just a little flex to it..I’ve spent hundreds of dollars through the years trying top coats..This is as close to nirvana as I’ve found..Nathan

3 hours ago, Nathan said:

Mark,

can you get Xylene in Ca.?..That’s what I thin with..I also use Bloxygen when closing the jar...But this stuff is ridiculously easy to use..dip and hang..2-3 coats a hour or so apart...I’ve only had one problem with the jar going off..but that was my fault..I got lazy and didn’t seal it up correctly.A good tough top coat with just a little flex to it..I’ve spent hundreds of dollars through the years trying top coats..This is as close to nirvana as I’ve found..Nathan

Thanks Nathan. 

It's too cold and wet to open the big doors and dip right now, but I did buy some of their thinner (no more Xylene in CA).  I plan to dip outside, so when the weather warms, I'm going to give it a go.

I am going to use a pickle jar with a gasketed screw top for dipping, and will put a piece of plastic over the jar's mouth after I shoot the Bloxygen in before I put the top on.

Can I let the bait drip back into the dipping jar, or will that cause problems?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nathan said:

Mark,

THAT'S IT! lol, Xylene......Suriously, the mason jars has the seals on the lids. If you keep the lip of the jar and seal clean there should be know problems. I've heard of wax paper being used for sealing, I don't use it. 

The trash in the bottom doesnt bother me either if it doesnt get churned up. Coming to the end of a jar and I hate to see any lost KBS......oh well, cost of using it I guess.

Dale

3 hours ago, SW Lures said:

THAT'S IT! lol, Xylene......Suriously, the mason jars has the seals on the lids. If you keep the lip of the jar and seal clean there should be know problems. I've heard of wax paper being used for sealing, I don't use it. 

The trash in the bottom doesnt bother me either if it doesnt get churned up. Coming to the end of a jar and I hate to see any lost KBS......oh well, cost of using it I guess.

Dale

Dale,

Do you dip, and, if you do, do you let the KBS drip back into the dipping jar?

Some, I put a paper clip on the tail and hang the head first, I allow it to continue to level and drip. I dip fairly fast and get the jar closed as soon as possible. I also use forceps to put the bait into the jar.

Here lately I have been using Rostoleum mainly. To me it gives a more natrual look. As long as the clear coat gives me a good life spand and a look that I'm after I'll use it. Have you seen Rustoleum in liquid?

16 hours ago, SW Lures said:

Some, I put a paper clip on the tail and hang the head first, I allow it to continue to level and drip. I dip fairly fast and get the jar closed as soon as possible. I also use forceps to put the bait into the jar.

Here lately I have been using Rostoleum mainly. To me it gives a more natrual look. As long as the clear coat gives me a good life spand and a look that I'm after I'll use it. Have you seen Rustoleum in liquid?

I'm reading this as don't let the KBS drip back into the dipping jar.

I haven't used Rustoleum liquid.  How does it work for baits?  Is it the same stuff that's in the X2 Gloss  Acrylic?

Sorry for not answering Mark quickly, been fishing. :D Your right, just to get the run off at first. The dripping I allow to happen on the stand.

Mark I was asking if you have seen Rustoleum Crystal or 2X Clears. I've been looking but I haven't seen any. I believe you and I are the only ones using these, but if anyone else knows any knowledge would be appreciated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

Swam it in the tub and it seems to be holding out so far. I have yet to put it through a hard day of fishing, though. Overall, I like the look of the rustoleum spray. Looks cleaner than the KBS spray in my opinion.

I've been fishing cranks coated with Rustoleum X2 Gloss for a year now, and never had it fail, except when I let a plastic worm lay over one overnight.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:58 AM, SW Lures said:

By a more natural look are you saying that it has a matte or flat finish?  Or does it have some gloss?  

Thanks