Lurch4004

Barrel twist wire screw eye

My best suggestion is to hover your mouse over activity at the top right of the screen, then go to search at the bottom.  Click on it and enter several options.  I entered home made wire eyes and got the following.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/search/?&q=home made wire eyes

As for what you mean by "Barrel twist", I am not sure.  But, I home twist my eyes by using a small round nose pliers, often called a jeweler's pliers, to make the round eye, then a pair of pliers to twist the rest.  But, is that what you are after?

I’ve made them but only with wire that I could twist with my fingers, like Malin leader wire or soft temper stainless.  A barrel twist where one leg is twisted around the straight other leg does have more glue area but a regular dual twist shank epoxied into a drilled hole has never failed me and it’s easier to make.  Hopefully someone who uses a barrel twist with larger hard temper wire can chime in.

I use .30 SS TIG rods. I use pliers (large jewelers, Klines, needle or whatever) like the rest, to form the eye then I put the eye in a wood block vice and twist the leads which gives a uniform twist. I'm very aware of protecting the eye. Many people that use my baits like to tie directly up to the baits tow eye, including myself some times.

It took me awhile to get the hang of it but now I just get at it. I dont use these type of eyes for all baits just for ones that would be at greater stress than normal. ;) I make some musky baits with these and striper baits. Standard eyelets that you buy from lets say LPO is just fine for standard fishing. The standard types when installed properly will hold unbelieve stress.

Lurch, I think some guys reckon its stronger because the twisted section is slightly thicker with barrel twist, and therefore has a bigger surface area to glue ,in theory making it harder to pull out . In practice and testing ,I've found it means nothing, a twisted screw eye properly glued in will be almost impossible to remove.......glider

Gliders thanks I am sure you are right, I tend to overthink these simple things sometimes. When I am learning about something I tend to go overboard on the work up which can paralyze me sometimes. Paralysis of analysis.

Sonoman I checked out the videos, didn't actually have making a screw eye but the tail wrap video helped me to figure out how to do it. I thibnk Gliders is right that it would be overkill for minimal gain.

Thanks to everyone else for sharing. Hope to make some traditional Striper plugs and a few for Musky plugs this winter.

• Like 1

I agree with Gliders that the twisted eye is as strong and in fact probably stronger.  However, in many of the large wood plugs these are used for,  The wire goes thru the center of the bait so no matter what eye you form on one end, when you push the wire thru to the other end a barrel eye is the only option I know of.

The Lordship Lures You Tube videos were very good.  After watching, there were other lure maker videos as well.

Edited by barrybait
further info
  • Like 2