nolan aker

First soft swimbait advice needed

It should work fine, but you might need to just do a little trial and error testing to get it perfect.  There are a few minor changes I would make, but I see no reason that your idea, as shown, cannot be made to work.

I would suggest getting a medium plastisol, and then add hardener if necessary.  I think it is large enough that a soft plastic might not be best.

This is my thinking on it.  The tail is long and lean enough for good action, but the tail seems relatively small.  The two combined should still give good action, but to adjust how much/little, tweak the plastic hardness.

As for brand of plastisol, well that in itself will get an argument (not really) going.  We all have our preferences, but I like the Alumisol Plastisol myself, and they sell the medium and the hardener as well.

That's a nice looking master!

As for the action you can expect from a swimbait's tail, I use the crankbait shape analogy when I'm picking a tail shape. Narrower, flatter tails have a tighter, more subtle wiggle.  Rounder tails have a wider side to side action.

And the closer to 90 degrees the angle of the tail to the bait's backbone, the more water resistance and wiggle.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

Yes I was thinking injection. Open pour should be a breeze...

I think Baitjunkys got caught in the trap we all have.  He is such an expert injector that I think he has forgotten that some of us still open pour on occasion.  ROFLOL

I got caught the other way, I make my molds out of silicone and I was just thinking I could cut more air gates to allow the air to escape.  LOL

IF you do decide to go injection s Baitjunkys was suggesting, then PM him and he can work you through the angle adjust to allow the air to escape better.