streamdancing

Kelvar mesh for strengthing soft plastic baits

Does it have to be kevlar mesh?  I just used some nylon on some test swimbaits I did several years ago and found it worked just fine.  The Nylon mesh was stuff I got at a fabric store, like the stuff used to make wedding dress veils, etc.  It could handle the temperatures I was pouring at and was flexible, and strong.

Kevlar seems like a tough one to find, and is probably overkill.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Does it have to be kevlar mesh?  I just used some nylon on some test swimbaits I did several years ago and found it worked just fine.  The Nylon mesh was stuff I got at a fabric store, like the stuff used to make wedding dress veils, etc.  It could handle the temperatures I was pouring at and was flexible, and strong.

Kevlar seems like a tough one to find, and is probably overkill.

Plus "exotic" materials can come with their own set of issues.  

Years ago we were repairing some concrete pilings under a house, and the subcontractor was using some kind of carbon mesh.  I asked him for some scrap to use as my swimbait hinges, and he sent me some, along with a handling regime that made me reconsider using it.  Seems that inhaling any dust from it could cause real problems.  I decided to stick with SST screw eyes and pins, and carefully disposed of the envelope and it's contents.

• Like 1

Hi Driftwood...

Yeah....maybe....does it come in a light weight  fine mesh ....so that the soft plastic resin can penetrate and adhere to itself? Would it unravel or is there a way to avoid this? ...From observing Egret's Vudu lures it is used tp split the middle of the soft bait acting as middle spine for the soft plastic to adhere to from both sides..mesh size looks to be in the 400 to 500 size...tho not sure about this.  Do you have any pics of extra fine Fiberglass mesh of this size...and...have you some experience using it? Thanks much for your response...Boyd

Hi Anglinarcher...and Mark...

No doesn't have to be Kelvar...just what Egret lures claims to use...

Thought of nylon or other,, but in talking to an Alumililte rep...he thought their soft plastic would clash with nylon materials...reason for the resulting search for kelvar....wedding veil material might just be all i need as using Plastic Sol medium plastic....thanks guys for coming up with possibly a more feasible material! Boyd

• Like 1