SpoonMinnow

Senko formula

3 hours ago, SpoonMinnow said:

I can see the logic of using coarse salt --- weight -- a key action component of the horizontal fall.

Will try it in my super soft plastic stick.

Thanks Dave,

Frank

Negative, finer salt is more dense than a coarser grind. It does however help with clarity a little and makes the final bait less durable. 

I use a VERY fine salt in mine, the result is a great fall rate, great wiggle when it falls and is far more durable than a GY Senko. But then again, copying a Senko wasn't my goal. 

Just happened to rig a 1/64  jig with #6 hook on a 2 1/4" soft stick and decided to use it to check the casting distance of a reel I changed line on. The  stick wobbled all the way to the bottom! 

IMG_0005.JPG.2fb4233dee187a6805953e2cfbb2dbc4.JPG

A 4" stick may benefit using  a 1/16 oz jighead and show the same action. Fall rate of a certain speed is essential.

Edited by SpoonMinnow

On 11/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, SpoonMinnow said:

I used a heck of a lot of fine salt and the stick still falls at a very slow rate with no wiggle.  Fine salt also make my lure colors pale.

What s "a heck of a lot"???

Formula similar to a Senko is

Two rounded tablespoon salt

One tablespoon softener

4 oz (half cup)medium or soft plastisol

Add salt and softener to cold uncooked plastic and stir well.

I used pickling salt from Walmart

Edited by MonteSS

Will definitely try that mix!  Thanks

(but why (fine) pickling salt vs Diamond super fine salt? Is it that pickling salt contains anti-caking ingredients, which can turn pickling liquid cloudy, or additives like iodine.

Plastic is not water and salt should stay intact, not dissolving.

Edited by SpoonMinnow

It's not like they digest the sticks! Contact with the lure's surface is at most  less than a minute , with most of my sticks a foot up the line after the  hook set / fight !

I've never heard of silica being added. Does it weigh as much as salt or make the texture of the plastic seem like the original? Who sells it?

Edited by SpoonMinnow

8 hours ago, SpoonMinnow said:

Thanks Mark.  Seems like that's the stuff Gary Y uses.  I've licked a few Senkos and don't taste salt.:P

That salt is strong!  I spit a lot if I lick one of my senkos to check if it has salt.  I sometimes have to check, because I make some senkos with no salt or blast media to use on 1/4 oz jig with no skirt, so the bait is more buoyant.  Kind of a turd rig with a 5" senko.

16 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

I think there packaged in salt as well. do they still taste salty after they been in the water?

Im not sure i ever tried it.

Dude, you don't know what you're missing!  Hahaha  Just don't ever taste a Chompers bait.  I haven't, but it smells so strong I can only imagine how nasty it would taste.  Of course, the fish don't seem to mind, but what do they know?