ddl

big lure holder?

what do you use to hold big esox lure when you paint them? im looking for something better than a vicegrip,something like a third hands for heavy piece of wood.i have seen many nice one at ebay but it look like they are more suitable for bass lure.picture a must.

cheers

I got these from a online course from Greg Vynal they work like a charm I mount them up and don't actually touch them again until after clear coat.

The trick to them is buried in the handle , there is another bolt but with a spacer 1/4 the way to the clamp end between the bars to build in a gap for the clamp end. The clamp assembly is then glued into the PVC.  Though I would say for big lures use steel vs the aluminum I used.  You will get more clamp pressure. 

Just for reference these were a prairie boys attempt at saltwater poppers for a Mexico vacation 6" some were as heavy as 3.5oz

Edited by aulrich

I took a piece of scrap wood that was 1” thick by 3” wide. Make the board around 3-4 inches longer than the lures you will be painting.  I screwed an L bracket at each end of the board, down the center of the end. I got 4 L brackets with screws for $2.60 at Walmart. The backside of the board will lay flat on a table. The L brackets will stick up on the top side at the ends. I wired a swivel snap to the top hole in one L bracket that was sticking up. I put a small eye bolt held with a nut through the top screw hole in the opposite L bracket with the eye towards the middle.  I threaded the nut on tight but making sure the bolt would still spin.  I got the eye bolt for 50 cents at a local hardware store.

To paint a lure, I clip the lure’s nose to the swivel snap.  I put a regular snap or paper clip bent into an S  on a rubber band. I run the rubber band through the eye bolt and then back through the rubber band. I attach that snap to the tail hook hanger. The rubber band will hold the lure tight, even if it is jointed.   You can rotate the lure by spinning the threaded end of  the bolt and the swivel snap on the other end will allow the lure to rotate.

I am sure there are better things to use. But, this was cheap enough to make a few  of them.

You could use almost anything like flexible wire and an alligator clip to re-MacGyver the rubber band and snap.

Sorry, I am having phone issues and can't get a pic posted.

• Like 1

This holder is set up for 2 lures.   The lure in the picture  is a 6 inch popper.  Swivel snap wired to the L bracket on the left. Eye bolt with rubber band and snap on the right.  1 inch by 3 inch scrap wood.

You can also put an eye screw on the side of one the ends to hang it vertically for drying.

I recommend setting it up for 2 lures at the most as would be hard to paint lures in the middle. If the lure is 8-12 inches I only put one lure on it at a time.

lure holder.jpg

• Like 3

our body baits hang by wire on a rack. painting 6 of a color we can go over each lure .using fast dry paints when using templates there set on side on an easel type board ,squirt 1 side when all done flip and repeat..sounds strange but that's how its done here. ,spinner blades are racked on pins and sprayed 250 on a rack.

• Like 2

ddl a simple "I don't see a photo:, would have sufficed. The link is to google pics, supposed to be able to share photos. Simply posting photos to this site got me limited out and the system refused to accept any more. What do you see when you click on the link?

Edited by FishCandy
  • Like 1

ddl a simple "I don't see a photo:, would have sufficed. The link is to google pics, supposed to be able to share photos. Simply posting photos to this site got me limited out and the system refused to accept any more. What do you see when you click on the link?

relax you will live a longer and better life

Edited by ddl
  • Like 1