CDawson85

Do-it Weedless Football Jig issues

Hi All,

I’m having some issues getting the 3/4 and 1oz cavities to get a complete pour. There is a small hole in the head adjacent to where the sprue is attached to the jig after pouring on nearly every jig I have poured. I’ve been pouring outside and the weather is quite cool so I’m wondering if this is to blame as I didn’t have any issues pouring with other molds during summer.  I’m also getting  the small hole on the right side of some 1/2 oz blade baits I poured this afternoon as well.  If anyone has any thoughts on this I’d love to hear them.

Regards,

Chad

First of all, give us some info. Are you using a pot or ladle pouring. Make sure the mold is hot. I don't know where you live, but if it is cold outside, you need to get inside, as the lead will cool before it has a chance to fill the mold cavity. Pot may not be hot enough and/or won't stay hot because it is too cold outside. A lot of  possibilities here, need to supply us with more info. This way we can hopefully pinpoint your problem.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Cadman for the reply. I’m using a Lee production IV pot to pour with. I keep the setting on 7 when I’m pouring. I did preheat the mold prior to pouring by pouring lead on the outside of the mold (5 times on each side). This is how I was shown to preheat a mold by a guy who helped me get into pouring. The temperature outside the 2 times I poured was between 45 and 55 degrees. I’m sorry for being a little vague in my original post as I’m still fairly new to this. Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

I always preheated my mold by making several "false" pours without hooks.  Once I pour in the lead, I sit the mold on top of my Hot Pot for a few minutes.  Then, I remove the lead from the cavities and repeat the process.  I usually do this 3 times and the mold is plenty hot to begin pouring with hooks.  Just a guess, but your method may not be getting the inside of the mold hot enough.  I also assume that you have smoked your mold?

13 hours ago, CDawson85 said:

Thanks Cadman for the reply. I’m using a Lee production IV pot to pour with. I keep the setting on 7 when I’m pouring. I did preheat the mold prior to pouring by pouring lead on the outside of the mold (5 times on each side). This is how I was shown to preheat a mold by a guy who helped me get into pouring. The temperature outside the 2 times I poured was between 45 and 55 degrees. I’m sorry for being a little vague in my original post as I’m still fairly new to this. Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

With a lee production pot, here are some things you can try.

Always leave your mold on top of the pot to get it hot as the pot warms up.

When the lead is melted do several test pours of your jigs like you mentioned.

If you are not getting complete pours, shove the sprue hole of the mold up  to the pouring spout, this is like injecting lead into your mold. This works very well many times when things aren't going well.

Put some tape inside on a mold half. This cracks open the mold and keeps from air pockets forming and easier flow of lead

Turn up the heat to number 8 and try that.

Definitely use Drop-out on your mold halves. It is like eggs on Teflon. You will Thank me later.

Warm your hooks with a light bulb while you are pouring, this prevents cold spots where the lead can build up on  cold hook.

Tilt your mold forward, back or left to right sometimes this helps also.

Hold your mold closer to the pour spout to keep the lead from cooling.

Finally , try to pour inside a garage with the door open. No wind to cool pot while it is trying to heat lead. There are many other things you can try as trial and error. Once you find the solution try to write it down in a notebook for later reference. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jacks said:

The hooks that lay in the cavity cool down the lead as it is poured in the mold cavity.  What we do is take a propane torch and heat the hooks and cavities before we close it to pour the lead.  This will work.  

Thanks bud for your reply. I ended up figuring out the issue to the problem.  I bought some lead bullet sinkers to melt down because I was in a pinch to get some jigs poured. Turns out there must have been some kind of impurity in the sinkers that caused the lead to harden before the cavity was completely filled. I ended up draining my pot and got some new pure soft lead. First jigs I poured without even warming up the mold poured perfectly. Stupid mistake on my part lol.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:31 AM, cadman said:

With a lee production pot, here are some things you can try.

Always leave your mold on top of the pot to get it hot as the pot warms up.

When the lead is melted do several test pours of your jigs like you mentioned.

If you are not getting complete pours, shove the sprue hole of the mold up  to the pouring spout, this is like injecting lead into your mold. This works very well many times when things aren't going well.

Put some tape inside on a mold half. This cracks open the mold and keeps from air pockets forming and easier flow of lead

Turn up the heat to number 8 and try that.

Definitely use Drop-out on your mold halves. It is like eggs on Teflon. You will Thank me later.

Warm your hooks with a light bulb while you are pouring, this prevents cold spots where the lead can build up on  cold hook.

Tilt your mold forward, back or left to right sometimes this helps also.

Hold your mold closer to the pour spout to keep the lead from cooling.

Finally , try to pour inside a garage with the door open. No wind to cool pot while it is trying to heat lead. There are many other things you can try as trial and error. Once you find the solution try to write it down in a notebook for later reference. Hope this helps.

Hey bud sorry for my very tardy reply. I ended up solving the issue. I had melted down some sinkers I got from the tackle shop because I was low on lead at the time. Turns out there must of been some kind of impurity in those sinkers that caused them to harden before the cavity filled completely. I ended up draining the entire pot and got some pure soft lead. First jig I poured with the new lead was perfect and haven’t had an issue since. Stupid mistake on my part. Thanks again for all of your help.

26 minutes ago, cadman said:

Glad it all worked out for you. We all learn from our mistakes, and if that doesn't work there is a lot of info on this forum to help out. Good luck and safe pouring.

I’m glad it worked out too as I was really getting frustrated. I’ve only been pouring and tying jigs for about 10 months so I’m still learning. Thanks again for your help.

I wouldn't throw out the lead that you removed, it is just harder lead.  I'd add a little bit to your clean soft lead and see how it pours.  You will be able to use the hard lead up then.  I like to use as hard of lead as I can get away with but have to mix.  Some molds are more forgiving with harder lead.  Some require only using pure lead, some you can pour with wheel weights and get perfect pours.  Just takes a little experimentation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EironBreaker said:

I wouldn't throw out the lead that you removed, it is just harder lead.  I'd add a little bit to your clean soft lead and see how it pours.  You will be able to use the hard lead up then.  I like to use as hard of lead as I can get away with but have to mix.  Some molds are more forgiving with harder lead.  Some require only using pure lead, some you can pour with wheel weights and get perfect pours.  Just takes a little experimentation.

Unfortunately I already got rid of it. If I run into that issue again I will definitely hang on to it and mix a little with the softer lead. I didn’t realize you could do that. Thank you for your help.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:44 AM, CDawson85 said:

Unfortunately I already got rid of it. If I run into that issue again I will definitely hang on to it and mix a little with the softer lead. I didn’t realize you could do that. Thank you for your help.

No problem, anytime.  If you have any questions about pouring just ask.  Someone on this board will have had the very same issue and will have a solution.  

Mixing lead types is a good way to save some money.  Sure you may pay a little extra to get good clean lead but you can save a little by mixing in a little other stuff also.  You can get lead from plumbers, construction demo guys, your local scrap yard and tire shop for wheel weights.  You never know where you will run into stuff at and may get a good deal or even some for free.  I've gotten quite a bit from some demo guys who knock down old houses.  They save me the leaded piping joints on the old cast iron piping.  A little work to clean it up (done outside) but whatever to save some money.  Good luck!