Mad Moose Baits

Yes, another powder coat Q: best coverage for multiples

Electrostatic VS Fluid Bed VS airbrushing with a mini sandblaster

1) which gives the most consistent coating? I know if I just dip a hot lure into the paint with no fluid bed it seems I get too much on them and get some runs with baking. Also this method really "coagulates" in the eye recesses making the 3d eyes not want to fit

2) which is best for batches of lets say 25 plus? 

3) Any tips on keeping the wires free of powder? I thought of having a clamp that holds them by the hook and another that holds them by the wire, thus protecting the wire. 

Over this wonderful, consistent finish I would use a light coat of epoxy (helps hold eyes on too)

I think with any method I can work out doing multiple lures and can figure out some reclamation methods for overspray. I just really want a consistent finish. 

Mr. Moose, I like the mini sand blaster for all my wire baits. It gives nice even coverage and allows me to do multiple colors. I can give my jigs an couple extra shots on the chin where it drags on the bottom.  If you miss a spot or the paint is too light on a spot simply heat that spot and shoot it again. If I get paint on the spinnerbait wire or the hook shank I just put the wire in to the groove of my pliers and give it a couple of twists before I bake it and that cleans it right up. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I prefer a fluid bed for all of my jigs.

I have three mini sand blasters but only use them to add accent colors.

I don't do spinnerbaits though just jigs.

I also put my small jigs in racks to cure.

That way excess paint if there is any will run down the hook shank where it is easier to remove.

I buy the spray guns and racks from TJ's tackle.

Best price I have found.

I keep the colors in their own jars.

Remove the jar shake out the tube then bow down the gun with the blower from my big shop air compressor when changing colors.

I use a paasche compressor made for airbrushing used at ~1psi or so for my powder guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kasilofchrisn said:

I prefer a fluid bed for all of my jigs.

I have three mini sand blasters but only use them to add accent colors.

I don't do spinnerbaits though just jigs.

I also put my small jigs in racks to cure.

That way excess paint if there is any will run down the hook shank where it is easier to remove.

I buy the spray guns and racks from TJ's tackle.

Best price I have found.

I keep the colors in their own jars.

Remove the jar shake out the tube then bow down the gun with the blower from my big shop air compressor when changing colors.

I use a paasche compressor made for airbrushing used at ~1psi or so for my powder guns.

Only 1psi? that's crazy! Going to check out TJs