snapshotmd

Fragile Crankbaits

I've been getting my baits mainly from a "highly regarded" source from China.  I've had a few from a US supplier also.  Compared to store bought baits, these blanks I've been getting break, and in turn, leak very easily.  These blanks crack almost instantly if they impact anything that's hard.  Some of these baits will leak after fighting a landing a 3-lb bass.   I've never fished with stuff that's so fragile; it's like fishing with glass lures.  I've been considering selling my custom painted cranks, but being so fragile, I can't possibly stand behind my product and stay in business.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Who are your suppliers?  Is there anyway to make these blanks more durable?  I'm using BSI epoxy.  A thicker coat perhaps?

Simply you will get what you pay for.   Personally I wouldn't source blanks directly from a Chinese source unless willing to put in the leg work and find a sound supplier.  In my opinion not worth the effort unless we are talking about thousands of baits (10k amounts) nothing much to be gained.   Trying to make a crap bait fish able is a losing cause in my book also.  Paint them up as key chains and move on or throw them away.

I would buy through a middle man (like most) and put them in the quality control department.   Let them do the leg work,  meaning they have bought from various places until they found something acceptable at a given price point .  Any of  the usual vendors  you see mentioned on the site are likely fine.  You also get with some of these vendors hassle free return and/or replacement of defective product.

Simply most don't buy in quantities sufficient to guarantee a consistent quality product from these sources overseas.  There are those that do but they are the companies whose baits guys are trying to buy cheap copies of to paint.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

we do custom contract painting. I have seen tonnage of junk from asia. its upsetting for my folks when we show them crap. from leakers to substandard wire hangers a child can crush. as stated before know your supplier...saving money on imports can actually destroy your business, you have to protect your name.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t count on any surface finish product to correct an underlying fragile plastic bait problem.  Were it me, I’d contact someone like Predator Bass Baits who has successfully ordered good quality custom plastic baits from Asia and discuss the ins and outs of getting what you want.

• Like 1