Jeff Hahn

Trigger Transplant

Long story short, I found one of my favorite old original Lew's rods at a bass fishing swap meet yesterday. I had to buy it. The problem is that the guy cut the trigger off. This was a common practice around here a number of years ago when flipping finesse jigs with spinning tackle was the rage. At that time, no company made a long, heavy action spinning rod and braided line was not yet on the market. So, everyone bought a casting rod to flip with, cut the trigger off, and used it with a big spinning reel.

I did the same thing with a flipping rod many years ago. And, when I wanted it converted back to a casting rod, a friend reinstalled a trigger for me. I have no idea how he did it. But, all you can see is a fine line between the trigger and the bottom of the reel seat. I don't know if he just glued it or used a pin and glue. The problem is that the guy who did this repair for me as since moved out of the area.

Any suggestions on how a trigger can be reattached to this rod?

2 hours ago, Lilpdriverrat said:

May be able to replace the handle.  I believe I know of a place that still has these old Lews handles.  Pistol grip?

Not a pistol grip.  It's a Lew's Laser with the old Power Plus handle.  I love those handles as much as I love the rod blank on those rods.

My thoughts would be to remove the trigger off of a tpssd or tpsm and attatch it to the side/bottom of the current reel seat.  2-3 small screws (recessed) would probably be required.  Either use epoxy or even a plastic welder to attach and reinforce with the screws.   File/sand the edges for a smooth transition.

Probably not too difficult but a little tedious though.