RPM

Ballast hole / adding weight

Hey guys, my neighbor and long time fishing partner were sharing fishing stories, and he brought over some cranks for me to look at, he asked if I had ever seen a plug with this modification? What he showed me was an older Cordell Big O, with a pin hole drilled into the bottom side. I said yes I have, went into my shop and brought out a few with just the same thing. He asked if I did the mod, which I did not, but I have heard from some old crankbait guys, that this was a modification so the angler could use a syringe to add water inside the plug to add weight to make it dive deeper / quicker or alter the action.

My question is what is this called? and do any of you hardcore crankers still do this today? I have several older lures that have been done like this and was wandering, also I was wanting to tell him what it's called and the exact reason for doing this.

Thanks for the help, it might help shed a light on this old trick / technique. 

Guys, this technique was designed to take a floating lure and turn it into a suspending lure, or a sinking lure, it's called drill & syringe? I did some research and talked to one of my crankbait buddies who has forgotten more about crankbait fishing than I'll probably ever know. LOL He said it was used by lots of tournament fisherman back in the 70's where he came from, the Carolina's. Pretty awesome when you think about it, you can adjust a plastic crankbait in a non permanent method, because you can take the water back out and reseal the hole and the lure is back to factory.

Anyway, sorry to anser my own question, but I thought some of you crankbait guys might want to hear the story.

Thanks have a great day!

Rich 

• Like 1

I still use this mod on occasion in deep water where I am trying to get a bait to suspend/sink and run deeper than normal.  As better suspending and deep diving baits have come on the market in recent years, I use it less and less. I have also also drilled holes in the back (top) of crankbaits to add or remove rattles and replug the hole.

I have heard people call it the crankbait ‘drill and fill’.

Some crankbaits from the 70s-80s came with holes in the bodies and a small cylindrical sponge. You would soak the sponge in attractant and put the sponge in the hole in the lure.

• Like 1