Kasilofchrisn

New chrome brush on paint?

Haven't looked too closely into this yet but when I first saw the video I instantly thought of using it on a fishing jig?

Going to have to price this stuff and see if I can get some.

A real chrome looking brushed on finish.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2015201105435926&id=1547188775570497

OK looked it up and at $699 a pint I think it's outta my price range!!

Still pretty cool though.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
Found the price
  • Like 1

Well I watched the video, and I was impressed. I guess if you can get paint to look like chrome when it's done, then you can charge whatever you want. But like you guys said, at $699/pint, that is too expensive for my blood. I'll just stick to pouring my really soft lead, and as soon as it cools, I clearcoat it. My chrome solution is more affordable.  Thanks for the video, very cool.

• Like 1

And, once the paint is applied, can you clear coat it to protect it without it going grey, like all the other chrome paints to date?

I just might pay $699/pint IF IT WORKED WITH A GOOD CLEAR COAT.

I sure won't waste that kind of money on a "test".  I am stupid, but not that stupid.:wacko:

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 9:56 AM, Anglinarcher said:

And, once the paint is applied, can you clear coat it to protect it without it going grey, like all the other chrome paints to date?

I just might pay $699/pint IF IT WORKED WITH A GOOD CLEAR COAT.

I sure won't waste that kind of money on a "test".  I am stupid, but not that stupid.:wacko:

Kasilofchrisn's video said it doesn't need a clear coat.

Ya, and a lot of my purchased baits from the name brands don't use a clear coat on Chrome either.  But, a few fish with teeth, even smaller ones like Brown Trout or Walleye, and it looks like crud (pre-edited for the internet - LOL).

I figure that if the company really feels their product is good enough for us, they can contact one of us to test it for them/us.

You up for it Mark?  Send them a message and tell them you can do a product review for TU if they provide it to you for free.

14 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

Ya, and a lot of my purchased baits from the name brands don't use a clear coat on Chrome either.  But, a few fish with teeth, even smaller ones like Brown Trout or Walleye, and it looks like crud (pre-edited for the internet - LOL).

I figure that if the company really feels their product is good enough for us, they can contact one of us to test it for them/us.

You up for it Mark?  Send them a message and tell them you can do a product review for TU if they provide it to you for free.

Anglinarcher, that sounds like a perfect job for you!  Hahaha

13 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Anglinarcher, that sounds like a perfect job for you!  Hahaha

Unfortunately I already have commited to about a dozen videos on resins.  Funny how they want them under 5 minutes and I can't seem to do anything in that length of time.  Uggg

Worse yet, my wife wants to review them first and I can never, never ever, not in this life time, please her.  LOL

At the rate I am going on my videos, I may never get them done, so taking on another project right now is just not going to happen.  But, this was the link I first saw the stuff on  

https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/

Mark, HINT, HINT, HINT.  LOL

Step 1:

To begin the Easy Chrome process, your part must be prepped and ready for application. Preparation includes: Sanding, Buffing and Priming. Primer can be any automotive grade primer. The surface should be very smooth.

Step 2:

Start by applying our Easy Chrome Basecoat, this basecoat is made exclusively for Easy Chrome. You will need this Basecoat in order for the Chrome to work. Once you apply, your basecoat must be very glossy, like a very wet look.

***DRY TIME: Air Dry your part 48hrs+ / Oven Dry your part 10-12hrs+ 120°F

***NOTE: The Dryer your part the better your chrome turnout. Basecoat MUST have that “water wet look” and be bone dry for best mirror effect.

Step 3:

Begin applying your Easy Chrome, this can be done by Brush, Spray Gun or Aerosol!

If applying by Brush, dip your brush into the chrome and begin to do very light strokes on your part. Any chrome that drips off your brush or part can be collected and reused right away. Continue this until you get the desired finish.

If applying by spray gun, begin by lightly dusting the chrome on your part, Flash 10-15 sec. Apply air to the chrome for a faster turn.

If applying by Aerosol, spray a very light coat. One light coat will be enough to get your chrome.

***DRY TIME: Air Dry your part 48hrs+ / Oven Dry your part 10-12hrs+ 120°F

Step 4:

Your part must be fully dry before you begin to topcoat. Begin to spray your Easy Chrome Topcoat by spray or aerosol. Use light coats when spraying and you are done.

***DRY TIME: Air Dry 1hr+ / Oven Dry 30min. 120°F

***NOTE: If a higher gloss is desired, you can use any urethane clearcoat over DRY the Easy Chrome topcoat.

***NOTE: Easy Chrome Topcoat is optional! If your part will not be handled or if it is only for display purposes you do not need to topcoat.

All I know is that the above information is "interesting".  4 days plus in drying time, and topcoat is optional if part will not be handled or is for display purposes only.  I fear that I actually fish with mine.  ROFLOL

11 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Unfortunately I already have commited to about a dozen videos on resins.  Funny how they want them under 5 minutes and I can't seem to do anything in that length of time.  Uggg

Worse yet, my wife wants to review them first and I can never, never ever, not in this life time, please her.  LOL

At the rate I am going on my videos, I may never get them done, so taking on another project right now is just not going to happen.  But, this was the link I first saw the stuff on  

https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/

Mark, HINT, HINT, HINT.  LOL

I can see you have a full plate, and a demanding quality control person, so I understand why you would declice.

I can only plead sloth and poverty.  I'm too lazy to go to all that work, and too cheap to spend  $700 for four ounces of paint.

• Haha 1

Well seeing that first video I wouldn't have thought there was that much involved in this paint.

Reality is though at that price it isn't for me.

I know my customers aren't going to pay what the jigs would cost with this paint on them.

But I have hope that someday this paint or one just like it will come down in price and be available for us jig makers.

A few hours from me is a chromium mine.

They mined chromium for rifle barrel alloy during WW2.

I have thought that obtaining some ore and attempting electroplating might also be a cool project.

But again time consuming and a bit pricey to get started. Especially since I have never plated anything before.

My foil jigs look awesome but like many of us I am always thinking of new ideas to try "someday".

Maybe someday one of us will acquire some of this chrome paint from somewhere and test it out.

I for one would love to see the results!

A family member runs a plating company.  When I asked him if plastic baits could be plated, he said yes.  He also said that the baits would have to be primed first with something that could be polished, or the chrome wouldn't shine.  He said that is why metal pieces are plated with copper first, so they can be polished before the chrome is applied.  

When I was looking into home chrome plating I found that a copper paint was available, and it was just as much used for a super polish as for conductivity.  The electroplating requires that it be electrically conductive as well.

There are/were small kits available for this, but again, time, money.  

• Like 1

I found this almost by accident. It's for fingernails, but it looks tailor made for lures. I think it would be especially good for lead jigs. The technique calls for applying a chrome powder, then a top coat of uv cure resin. How easy is that?! 39 cents with a dollar ninety nine shipping.   https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Powder-Effect-Pigment-XUANOU/dp/B075RS6Z4D/ref=sr_1_9?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1513133757&sr=1-9&keywords=chrome+powder+coat

Ok, I promise last thing on this nail polish stuff. It looks like the deal is that you paint a gel coat first, pretty sure this is to get a completely smooth surface. Next comes a black or white base coat, followed by the chrome, then clear coat. The holographic powder can be added to the clear coat. Makes sense if you want to get a mirror finish. 

Edited by StriperCandy