Jesse9583

Micro bubbles

I'm using Do-it essentials regular formula. I am getting lots of micro bubbles in my baits. Ive searched and read prior threads here about this to no avail. I am using pyrex and a microwave dedicated to just this. Only clean metal utensils, and I'm in a climate controlled area with no abnormal humidity. I'm keeping stirring to a minimum. Mixed the plastisol very very well prior to putting it in the pyrex. 

I'm at a loss, no idea why I'm getting these bubbles still. I even wiped down the inside of the microwave before I started. The pics are prior to shooting, this is just from warming it up. 

Any thoughts on getting smoother results would be a big help. Thanks in advance!

20171210_154006.jpg

20171210_154002.jpg

1512942866311404389841.jpg

Couple of opinions:

1. What are you stirring with? I use a spoon or a butter knife to stir when using a microwave.  Slow stirs and no whipping.

2. I use the long handled spoon to purposely put air bubbles in some of my baits. These bubbles give some bouncy which has its place during certain applications.

• Like 1

Also, mixing the plastisol very well, whipping it, is important to prevent settling, but then you need to let the worked in air work out before you heat and pour/shoot.  I like to mix on one day and then heat/pour in a day or two after that.  If I have mixed the plastisol in the last couple of weeks, I just tip the jug a few times and call it good before I heat.

You can take a very very well mixed plastisol and degas it with a vacuum, if you have the set-up.

• Like 1

I'm spoiled.  I always use BaitJunky's degassed plastisol.

If you don't use degassed plastisol, and you heat in a microwave,  you will have to degas it, so no moisture that might be trapped in the plastisol can expand to form bubbles when it's heated in a microwave.   Otherwise you can expect to have bubbles to deal with.

I am just a hobby pourer, so I go the degassed plastisol route and never have to worry about degassing myself, except after raw mushrooms.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One other thing you can do that works very well to eliminate your bubbles quickly as they surface to the top of your cooked plastic. Very quickly, make a couple passes over the top of all those bubbles with a propane torch. I keep one on my bench at all times with the piezo igniter so I can grab it with one hand and fire away. Makes quick work of those bubbles as they surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mark poulson said:

I'm spoiled.  I always use BaitJunky's degassed plastisol.

If you don't use degassed plastisol, and you heat in a microwave,  you will have to degas it, so no moisture that might be trapped in the plastisol can expand to form bubbles when it's heated in a microwave.   Otherwise you can expect to have bubbles to deal with.

I am just a hobby pourer, so I go the degassed plastisol route and never have to worry about degassing myself, except after raw mushrooms.  ;)

But the first time you need to mix the plastic very well to reverse settling, the air is back.  Then you are back to square 1.

And about the raw mushrooms, TMI (too much information).  :lol:

2 hours ago, Apdriver said:

One other thing you can do that works very well to eliminate your bubbles quickly as they surface to the top of your cooked plastic. Very quickly, make a couple passes over the top of all those bubbles with a propane torch. I keep one on my bench at all times with the piezo igniter so I can grab it with one hand and fire away. Makes quick work of those bubbles as they surface.

Wow.....clever idea!  :yes:

So I think I have narrowed it down to 2 things, either the rate at which I heat it up or the plastisol itself.  So I made a small batch on a low setting on my stove top instead of the microwave, took 20 minutes to heat up and as the plastic went from gel back into liquid the bubbles formed again. I'm assuming at this point it is the plastic since I've gone above and beyond what I and others normally do to simply heat plastisol. I'm going to grab another brand and try again quick. If nothing else it will rule out another possibility. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jesse9583 said:

So I think I have narrowed it down to 2 things, either the rate at which I heat it up or the plastisol itself.  So I made a small batch on a low setting on my stove top instead of the microwave, took 20 minutes to heat up and as the plastic went from gel back into liquid the bubbles formed again. I'm assuming at this point it is the plastic since I've gone above and beyond what I and others normally do to simply heat plastisol. I'm going to grab another brand and try again quick. If nothing else it will rule out another possibility. 

If you can, try a degassed plastisol, to eliminate having to degas it yourself.

7 hours ago, Jesse9583 said:

There seems to be a fairly fine line between just right and oh shit I just burned it! LOL  I'll test it out and stick the thermostat in it tomorrow and report back!

Jesse. one way I found to get my plastisol to the right temp. consistently without burning it is to always heat the same amount, so I can eliminate the variable of quantity.

Questions:  It appears that you are using a 2 cup pyrex  with only about a cup of plastic is there a reason for this?   How much plastic are you heating up from the start?  What's your heat up sequence?  What wattage is your micro?  Once heated are you seeing any vapor?

I would suggest the following:  Take 8 oz mix colors in prior to heating if your not, 900Watt micro set for 2 mins, stir and set for 1 min.  Stir from the center out to disperse heat, the viscosity of the plastic should allow for the bubbles to rise, if you don't see them rise bump the plastic for an additional 30 seconds and observe.  The bubbles should rise from the center and gather along the edge of the pyrex under normal circumstances.  Judging by the photo there's enough bubbles where that's probably not going to happen and it will look like the head of a beer.

The bubbles in the pic are normally associated with moisture but since you've already stated the lack of humidity that rules that out.  

I myself have to disagree, the bubbles you are seeing is simply air. Well air does have moisture in it. Moisture typically foams on top.  At 350 degrees moisture will boil. And your cup would be spitting and sputtering at you.  Ive degassed 1000s of gallons of plastic. And shook the piss out of it jusf to see bubbles come back.  Especially in cooler weather. Thicker the material easier it captures air.