Jig Man

Fusing plastic

I just got a good looking craw mold.  The belly features are incredible.  I have made a laminate plate for it and want to do a 3 colored craw,  (back, belly, and claws).   I plan to shoot claws, then shoot bellies and remove their claws.  I'll put the original claws in with the belly and shoot the back.  I know the back will fuse to the claw but it is going to be weak where it doesn't attach to the arm part of the belly.

In your opinion, what is the best way to fuse this open spot?  Is there a glue that will work on plastisol and give a good bond?

Edited by Jig Man

Yes, there are super glue products designed for repairing soft plastics.  I have even done it with a torch in some cases, melting the surfaces just a touch and fusing while still sticky.  We all use to fuse our own creature baits back in the 80's.

I cannot quite follow Jig Man's directions, but it sounds like he has thought it through.  Let us know how it works.

Let me explain a bit more.  When the final version of the craw comes out of the mold the claw is fused to the back of the craw as it was in the mold when the back was injected.  However the belly was put into the mold and layed next to the claw so the belly part of the leg is not attached to the claw, only the back.  So far I haven't found any glue that I have on hand that will  cement them together.  I haven't fished them yet but I can't imagine the claw staying intact even for one fish the way it is.

This is such a small area that I don't thing I can fuse them with heat without hurting the already fused part.  The area that needs to be fused is about the size of a Q tip stick.    I am planning to go to Bass Pro tomorrow and see if they have any plastic glue. 

2 hours ago, SpoonMinnow said:

Didn't know that soft glues were sold. Good to know. This may take the place of my candle flame for fusing parts together to make hybrid designs. Thanks!

I've used Mend-It... it works... but it's not really a "glue"... but more of a solvent that melts the ends of the plastic - allowing you to fuse it together... 

I mention this so you understand it won't "fill holes/gaps" like a white/wood/etc. glue.  You basically "wet" the areas you want to bond and press them together - which the solvent melts the bait surface then evaporates - leaving the plastic to fuse back together.  It's great on the boat to fix baits that have gotten nipped a bit or the ends of senkos.  But be aware you have to hold the parts together for a good 10-15 seconds (minimum) to have it work well... so it's great for repairs or one off creations to test - but not really great for doing ALOT of work or putting things together that are very small or hard to hold together.

J.

• Like 1