Jump to content
cadman

Do-It Swimbait Head Jig Mold

Recommended Posts

Do any of you guys out there have this new mold by Do-It with the double hook keeper? If so I know the mold takes the Mustad 32746 Hook. Will this mold take a heavier 90 degree BLN hook instead of the 32746? If so what other hook will fit? Thanks in advance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cadman said:

Do any of you guys out there have this new mold by Do-It with the double hook keeper? If so I know the mold takes the Mustad 32746 Hook. Will this mold take a heavier 90 degree BLN hook instead of the 32746? If so what other hook will fit? Thanks in advance

 

I sent my mold back, I was told by Do-it a Gamakatsu 604 would fit, well it doesn't. In fact I have not found a heavier wire 90 degree that will fit that mold. I know so have been able to put a single wire keeper in the larger sizes to use a 604 but it defeats the purpose for me. I thought Do-it should have made it for heavier wire hooks, that way you could still use the lighter wire if you so choose but I know  they made the mold in a way that any modification to make the mold take a heavy hook meant that the double barb keeper had to go and so I didn't feel like dealing with it.  Perhaps Jon Barlow can help but that mold was a big disappointment for me because it is made in a way that doesn't allow much modification and still allow the use of a double barb keeper without cutting the keepers as well.

Edited by smalljaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info  Smalljaw. I have a customer that likes the mold profile with the double keeper. He also wanted to use a heavier hook, but was Ok with using the stock hook. I will let him know and see what the outcome is. It would have been nice to use several different hooks for this mold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive a non-lead pourers question, but couldn't you just use a small triangular file to deepen the lower part of the hook slot, so the double keeper could still be used?

Edited by mark poulson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing with this mold a bit today and found that the Eagle Claw L3052 hook works quite well in it.  

 

IMHO the EC hooks are a bit stronger than the Mustad hooks.  

 

However, they are not as strong as a 630 hook.  It's going to be a while before I can do some on the water testing as I have surgery on the 26th and it's going to keep me off the water for at least six weeks.

 

I plan on using this head for hybrid and striped bass.  I've found the 3052 plenty strong for that type of fishing in the past.

 

I did also find that the VMC Barbarian 4/0 hook fit some of the cavities.

Edited by LimpNoodle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 12:27 PM, mark poulson said:

Forgive a non-lead pourers question, but couldn't you just use a small triangular file to deepen the lower part of the hook slot, so the double keeper could still be used?

 

It's not that simple.  One also has to take into account the height of the eye.  Also the keeper rides above the hook.  Very easy to screw up the slot the keeper rides in.  

 

If one were to modify the mold for the heavier wire hook then it would only be good for that hook in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LimpNoodle said:

I was playing with this mold a bit today and found that the Eagle Claw L3052 hook works quite well in it.  

 

IMHO the EC hooks are a bit stronger than the Mustad hooks.  

 

However, they are not as strong as a 630 hook.  It's going to be a while before I can do some on the water testing as I have surgery on the 26th and it's going to keep me off the water for at least six weeks.

 

I plan on using this head for hybrid and striped bass.  I've found the 3052 plenty strong for that type of fishing in the past.

 

I did also find that the VMC Barbarian 4/0 hook fit some of the cavities.

 

Thanks for the reply. Currently my customer is going to use the Mustad 32746 hooks. I've ordered the mold, so I'll see how difficult it will be to do any modification.

Edited by cadman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LimpNoodle said:

 

It's not that simple.  One also has to take into account the height of the eye.  Also the keeper rides above the hook.  Very easy to screw up the slot the keeper rides in.  

 

If one were to modify the mold for the heavier wire hook then it would only be good for that hook in the future.

 

Once again, the easy answer isn't necessarily the right one.  Thanks.  What you said makes sense.

Edited by mark poulson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, shastaron said:

You might try a 604 but drop down 1 size.

 

The 604's eye is too short , it only works in the 3/4oz cavity and you have to cut the double wire keeper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this mold on the way from Zeiner's.  With other molds that are designed to take the lighter wire style hook, I'd say if you can modify it to accept the heavy wire version, that is what you are stuck with unless you want to deal with flash.  But I'm interested to get this mold.  Any possibility to have one keeper on each side of the hook with a little modification?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, EironBreaker said:

I have this mold on the way from Zeiner's.  With other molds that are designed to take the lighter wire style hook, I'd say if you can modify it to accept the heavy wire version, that is what you are stuck with unless you want to deal with flash.  But I'm interested to get this mold.  Any possibility to have one keeper on each side of the hook with a little modification?

 

I have this mold coming from Zeiners as well, should be here Saturday. Until I see it, I don't know what to expect. I will say, that a lot of guys who have replied have a lot of experience with modifying molds. Maybe this is just one of those molds that you have to use as is. Will keep everyone informed of my findings, once I get to pour this next week hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JBarlow said:

 

smalljaw,

Were you not able to get it to fit at all or were you just not happy that it did not sit perfectly straight?  The 604's I tried worked but theydid not sit perfectly straight.  I have to admit that it was a very tight fit but I would have said they work too.  The VMC 7150 also fits in the mold but you have to use a 4/0 hook in all but the largest cavity where a 5/0 will fit.

JB

3523-604.jpg

3523-7150.jpg

 

Jon, thanks for the post.  The hook not sitting straight in that 1/4oz cavity really burned me up.  The swim bait was a pain to rig because I'd have to really force it on and it would almost want to pull away. I wish I would have thought about the VMC, I've been really liking their hooks and the 7150 seems heavy enough but not overkill, now I wish I didn't send that mold back.  No use crying over spilled milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smalljaw one thing I've noticed with the 1/4 oz is that even with a light hook that is straight there really isn't much room between that bottom lead part and the hook. One thing I've done is before painting I bend down the lead part that runs under the belly just a bit to give me more room for the plastic.  

 

Barlow thanks for the tip about the vmc those look great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just made a large batch of these in 1/2 oz for  fishing in Mexico this winter.  I used 5/0 hooks in the Mustad 746 and the Gami 604.  The ripper style swim-baits I make, and will be using, are similar to the 5” Havoc Grass Pig and they snug up real nice.   I noticed that the 604 hook shaft runs “downhill” from the head but that provides a slight upward tilt to the hook point that may be a slight advantage for successful hook ups.   I’m real interested to see if the Gami is worth the extra $ against the Mustad and look forward to trying them side by side.  Leaving for El Salto in a couple days for 6 days of sun & fun. 

I made a few jigs in 3/8 oz with 4/0 Gami 604 for use with 3.5” baits but may need to drop to a 3/0 for that size bait.  Those will need to wait until Spring back on Table Rock for testing. 

I like the double barb but expect every Bass will destroy the plastic bait.  I like the lead “foot” on the head because I like to deep-swim it a few feet and let it drop to the bottom.  I expect the foot will give me a slightly better feel.  I stopped using braided line and my catch rate has gone up but, of course, sensitivity has decreased  so I’m looking forward to using this head to help close the gap. 

Happy New Year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...
Top