F&R

Createx Drying

I’ve been using Createx for several years with good success. I still have a problem with it not drying completely even after several days  in a warm dry room. I always, thin it appropriately and blow dry after each coat and yet the surface of my baits stay tacky for an excessively long period. It takes a week sometimes before I feel comfortable to clear coat them.  Am I alone with this problem?

Paint thinners and paints including Createx can contain chemicals like glycerin or other flow enhancers that leave a slightly tacky feel after all the water has evaporated.  If you dry your paint with a hair dryer or just let the paint air dry for a short while, you shouldn’t have a problem unless you are applying paint in thick layers.  Even then, if you dry each color with a hair dryer as you shoot it, you will probably be ok.  

• Like 2

Yes, I have had that happen, but, as Bob indicated, it was due to glycerin.

I lived in Louisiana for some time and I did not think about the 90+ % humidity versus the 15% in Washington State.  I used the same mix I had been using and it would not dry at all.  Glycerin will actually draw water out of the air if the humidity is too high.

In Louisiana, I just thinned with water and it dried just fine, in minutes.  Also, with the high humidity I had zero tip dry on the air brush.  LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Yes, I have had that happen, but, as Bob indicated, it was due to glycerin.

I lived in Louisiana for some time and I did not think about the 90+ % humidity versus the 15% in Washington State.  I used the same mix I had been using and it would not dry at all.  Glycerin will actually draw water out of the air if the humidity is too high.

In Louisiana, I just thinned with water and it dried just fine, in minutes.  Also, with the high humidity I had zero tip dry on the air brush.  LOL

Dude, who are you running from???  Hahaha

I found that I have caused this problem by layering on too many coats trying to get the exact color and hue I wanted.  I hope I’ve learned my lesson. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve made the same mistake many times!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F&R said:

I found that I have caused this problem by layering on too many coats trying to get the exact color and hue I wanted.  I hope I’ve learned my lesson. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve made the same mistake many times!!!

You can do multiple light layers for color matching, as long as you truly dry each coat completely before you add the next.