Sudd

Airbrush safety

Yes, they will, but they will collect paint "dust" and any wet paint.  Once in a while you will need to clean the paint off the metal filter with a solvent.

A disposable filter, like the cheep box store filters sold for HVAC systems, place in front of the metal filter, will keep you from needing to clean the metal filter as often.

As for the fan, the metal filter should protect it just fine, but I have seen stove hoods with grease on the fan blades, so keep an eye on them to see if paint is getting past the metal filter.

PS, this would be true for any booth system.

Edited by Anglinarcher
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sudd said:

It has the metal filter over it, will those not work?

Yes, but they will get clogged eventually with paint from the overspray, and they are very difficult to clean.  Most are designed to trap grease, and be washed in a dishwasher.  Solvent based paints are a whole different animal, and require soaking in solvents, which can be both hazardous to your health, and dangerous in terms of fire.

Using a cheap, disposable HVAC filter in front of the metal filters will prevent lots of headaches, and extend the life of the metal filters.

1 minute ago, Anglinarcher said:

Yes, they will, but they will collect paint "dust" and any wet paint.  Once in a while you will need to clean the paint off the metal filter with a solvent.

A disposable filter, like the cheep box store filters sold for HVAC systems, place in front of the metal filter, will keep you from needing to clean the metal filter as often.

As for the fan, the metal filter should protect it just fine, but I have seen stove hoods with grease on the fan blades, so keep an eye on them to see if paint is getting past the metal filter.

PS, this would be true for any booth system.

You said it better faster.

• Haha 1

Here is my setup, and the 7" pipe goes straight out the window through a piece of wood. It sticks outside the window about 2' my wife stood outside the pipe when I turned it on and it blew her hair back lol! It's moving some air. Now my problem is it's going to blow all my heat out. But I can deal with that. Ventilation of solvents are way more important.

20171230_165234.jpg