Bustnslabs

Newbie looking for molds

I'm just starting out making my own soft plastics and am looking for molds like the baits I like to use.  I use a lot of 2.5" slab busters and have looked through a lot of websites but can't find anything close.  Anyone know of any molds similar to these that I can make 2 color baits?  Also am looking for some advice on making tubes, about 1.5" to 2" in size.  Are there molds for this small of a tube?  Like I said before I'm new.  Thanks guys

I don't know the slab buster so I cannot help there.  Most new guys and hobbyist dip to make small tubes.  You should be able to do a search on dipping tubes bu going to activity at the top right of the screen, follow the pop up down to search, click on it, and go from there.

There are several good videos on YouTube as well showing tube dipping.

PS, I see you are very new to the site.  Welcome to the fun.:D

A few years ago I wanted the same thing.  I couldn't find anything that would cost less then $400 at a machine shop so I made my own.  It was labor intensive but I got the job done.

I bought an aluminum rod the same size as a slab buster.  I cut off a piece and filed it down until it was the exact same shape as a slab buster.  Then I bought some brass rods that the aluminum would fit into.  I cut them into about 4" pieces.  I took the aluminum piece and put it into an (oiled) brass tube and poured molten lead into it.  That gave me a plug that was the reverse of the baits I wanted to make.  I did 20 some of them so I could make several baits at a time.

13_01_01_10_12_43_52.JPG

Edited by Jig Man

My next issue was getting the plastisol to pour.  It was a long process.  No matter what I did they wouldn't pour.  The tails never got any plastisol no matter what I did.  I took some cattle catheters and converted them to injectors and still did not get what I needed as I couldn't get consistent pressure.  I added compression fittings to the catheter tubes and my problems were solved.

I am not recommending this to you as the injectors that I made have a very short life and can come apart without warning and cause serious injury.  I only posted this to give you some ideas as to how you might come up with something for yourself.

13_01_01_10_12_43_18.JPG

Edited by Jig Man

2 hours ago, Jig Man said:

My next issue was getting the plastisol to pour.  It was a long process.  No matter what I did they wouldn't pour.  The tails never got any plastisol no matter what I did.  I took some cattle catheters and converted them to injectors and still did not get what I needed as I couldn't get consistent pressure.  I added compression fittings to the catheter tubes and my problems were solved.

I am not recommending this to you as the injectors that I made have a very short life and can come apart without warning and cause serious injury.  I only posted this to give you some ideas as to how you might come up with something for yourself.

13_01_01_10_12_43_18.JPG

Where there's a will there's a way.  Any suggestions on who would do a custom mold?  Like I said, I'm new and as many as I use it would be worth it to me, maybe.