Hawg Hooker

Newbie starting from scratch!!

Hey Guys just wanted to say hello! Ive been a fisherman my entire life and recently decided to get into lure building and casting. Im the type who likes to do it right the first time as far as buying quality equipment to get set up. Going to start with spinnerbaits and jigs since i use these the most when I'm on the water. I have been doing some research on wire benders, melting pots and other accessories. Im open to any and all advice on what i will need…as far as equipment to get started. Thanks guys!! Hope to have some product to show off in the coming months… Jason

Welcome to the site Jason.

But, I am not quite sure I agree with the 

3 hours ago, Hawg Hooker said:

do it right the first time as far as buying quality equipment to get set up

Obviously doing it right is important, but the definition of quality equipment is going to differ and change as your experience level grows.

Hopefully this will get others to jump in here, but I have "poured" for years and I still don't think I am ready for a Lee Pot or an RCBS production pot.  

Still, I like how you think!

The best piece of advice when I got started many years ago was to start simple with a Lee 4lb pot and a small ladle.

Now, 100's of baits (and many dozens of molds later) that is still all I use. I can pour enough spinner baits and bass jigs in one afternoon than I and my fishing buddy can use in a year!

" Keep it Simple" !

Good advice guys!!.....i do however have trouble not going all out when starting into a hobby. I have always gone the route of having the right tools for the job. I'm not too concerned about spending some money on equipment that could add to the quality and  or give me more options in building my own tackle. I was looking at the Hagens wire forming tool, so i can experiment with different configurations for spinnerbaits. I know you can buy pre made forms but to me that seems limiting. I see many posts were guys said that "they wish they bought a tool earlier" when they got started in lure making. I guess my question is, if you did not have a budget what tools and equipment would you purchase:) P.S dont tell my wife i said that!!

I am not constrained by budget, but my keep it simple advice still stands. You can pour any mold with a ladle. The big pots are nice if you are pouring 50+ jigs at a time. But what the heck, get both a 4lb pot and small ladle and a big pot and see which you use the most.

The only thing I use my wire former for was for inline spinners ( Mepps) but eventually I got the hang of good pliers and found that even easier and opened up even more options like turning spinner baits into chatter baits. Bending my own spinner bait wires was never worth all the effort for me (I have done a few). Really good pliers set you back some $$$, but they are worth it!

The place to spend money if you have it is one REALLY good ventilation! Check out the Do -it site for some how to videos and check out their ventilation system! I've been to their HQ and I have serious work space envy!!!

Like I mentioned, I make darn near everything using a pot and ladle and I can make them a lot faster than I and a couple buddy's can loose them!

I have been making baits for a very long time.  I had a Lee 10# pot.  I wore it out.  I bought a new liner and parts and rebuilt it.  It got to dripping so bad that I learned to hate it.  One day when I complained about getting splash on my skin, my wife said, "Hey you only go around once.  Reach deep into your pocket and get a really good one." 

So I bought the RCBS.  I wish I had done it years ago.  So if you have the $400 I say go for it.

I am really fussy about good pliers!

The pliers that I eventually found and use successfully are:

https://www.barlowstackle.com/-German-Round-Nose-Nesting-Pliers-P1025.aspx

And the best split ring pliers by far are (they are the only split ring pliers that work for me!)

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Premium-Split-Ring-Pliers--P1019.aspx

My favorite gate cutters are:

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Gate-Cutters-P1033.aspx

I already had a good pair of padded handle round nose, flat nose and high quality wire cutter like

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crescent-8-25-in-End-Cutting-Plier/3547276

• Like 1

If you think you're going to be serious about pouring lead then get a good pot.  I cast lure/jigs and bullets.  I have a RCBS Pro-Melt and wish I had two.

The Pro-Melt II isn't available yet, when it is I'll get that second pot.

For split ring pliers I like the Texas Tackle pliers. http://www.texastackle.com/pliers.htm  I've got half a dozen of them.  Three in the boat and three on the bench.  

For cutting sprues on lures I use these cutters https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063GL7UM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1  

If you're going to make a lot of loops in wire then get a Twistech wire former.  I've had mine for a few years now and I've bent a lot of wire with it.  I find it very useful for making lots of wire items I use for fishing.

HH just for your information, I pulled out my jigging spoon mold today.  I hadn't used it in years because it would never pour with my Lee Pot.  I had to use my fish cooker and a ladle to get the lead hot enough to pour.  I tried it this morning with it heated and the RCBS pot set on 850°.  I molded 24 perfect spoons with no partials in the bunch.  That never happened before.