F&R

Balsa Bait Lip Slots

Typically I cut lip slots in baits prior to shaping.  Much easier to cut the slot with the rectangular/square stock.  That being said after a few lures I can pretty accurately eye ball so only a minimum amount of alteration is needed (few passes with sand paper).

You can also make a jig to hold the round bait so it is consistently registered correctly and make your cuts.  

Thanks you guys. I do cut the slots when the piece is still flat if I’m making it from scratch.  I have the problem when I use purchased round body blanks.  I’ll have to give some thought to designing a jig  that will hold the bait in perfect position for either drawing a cut line around the body or for holding it stationary while cuttting the slot.  If anyone has a photo of such a jig that would be a big help.  

I use a thick flat rubber band stretched over the head of the bait.  I stretch and position it so it looks symmetrical then mark the slot with a Sharpie and cut it with a thin fiber reinforced Dremel cutoff disk.  A jig and table saw would be better but I use different lip angles and don’t have a table saw.  The rubber band comes with grocery store celery stalks.  Lip slots are the bane of pre-formed balsa blanks but it’s hard to form very small balsa baits from blocks of balsa if you do everything by hand.

• Like 1

I made a sled and jig for cutting slots in large crank blanks in the square. With flat sided  cranks you can cut slot on shaped lure if needed.  One advantage of  cutting on finished lure is perfect clean finish around slot with no unsightly buildup of multiple epoxy coats around slot . I also planned on using my jig to do this on big jake type lures, just finished making a batch for someone and didn't want to risk it though !  Will be trying it with a few completed lures next batch to see how it goes...

Bob I like the rubber band technique for marking the slot line with a sharpie.  I’ll try that. I’ve been using a thin piece of cardboard wrapped around the bait to get the same effect but it’s hard to get it positioned and hold it in place and then mark the line. Like  you I make different sizes and styles of baits. Making a jig or fixture for such a variety would be difficult. I’m a little worried about using the Dremel and abrasive disc. One false slip and I’d ruin the slot. I’ve been using two fine tooth hack saw blades epoxied together and cut to 6” long. It’s a bit slower that way but it makes a nice slot, usually one pass. Thanks to all of you again for sharing your ideas.

I use a scroll saw to cut blanks.  Pretty slow work on hardwood but it’s fine on balsa.  After all, I’m in no hurry.  A standard 12 Tpi scroll blade has the perfect kerf for a 1/32” circuit board lip and it’s easy to double cut the slot for 1/16” polycarbonate.  But the Dremel does OK on pre-formed balsa blanks and if there’s a goof, I can use epoxy putty to mount the lip.  Putty also works great if you have to replace an existing broken lip or if you want to change the lip angle.  Just pack it in, smooth it out and cut a new lip slot in a few minutes.  No, it’s not as clean and neat as a table saw with a proper custom jig.  IF you have a saw and build enough baits of a single design to warrant the trouble of making the jig, that’s a no-brained.