Hawg Hooker

Porous fluid sheets

Good evening guys...Happy New Year!! Quick question...does anyone know the best micron size of to buy when purchasing fluid sheeting. Looks like its available in 10-30-50-70-100 0r 200 micron. It gets more expensive as you go up in micron size. I know there is other options available at a lower cost but wanted to use the real deal. Thanks guys! hope you all have a safe and prosperous new year... Jason

Anglinarcher, sorry about that:) i guess i just assumed that it was common knowledge. I am very new to tackle building and just wanted to research every option possible before i purchase any equipment and materials. I was in the process of building some fluid beds and was looking for the best material to use for the media base filter. Iknow a lot of guys use everything from paper to tyvek to mailing envelopes etc... The ones that TJ's tackle sells on their site uses a piece of "porous fluid sheeting on there fluid beds. That material is designed specifically for that purpose. You can buy sheets of it online...18"x18". It comes in different micron sizes..20 30 40 70 80 and so on. Basically the sizes of the holes in the material. so my question was which "hole" size would best suit that application. Maybe i will just stick with mailing envelopes:) not to mention they are around $80 per sheet!!  

OK, I was wondering about if that was your question.  To be honest, I use coffee filters I take from 7-11.  LOL  But it would be nice to have known hole sizes and options.

First, so many different materials have been used because so many different paints require either different filters or different pressures for the air.  My white reacts different then my black, in the same brand.  I have different brands of Powder Paint and they seem to react different as well.

At $80 a sheet, the sheets had better be HUGE.  I think I will stick with my coffee filters, or paper bags, or tyvek, or .........

• Like 1

Ive tried a lot of media for the filters and since cups are so inexpensive to make, decided on a fabric from hobby lobby.  a couple yards of it and I will never run out. I cut it it in 3 1/2" wide strips and glue a dozen or so cups to the strip, clamp it let it set and next day, cut them apart, trim the edges and got a new supply of cups.  a 10ft piece of pvc gives me 40 cups (i cut to 2 7/8 long which for me is the ideal length. I usually work with 1/8 or smaller jigs.  I have some very nice filter cloth but it gets pricy and in reality did not notice that much difference.  So I played with different fabrics until I found one that works.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:26 PM, Hawg Hooker said:

And that fabric would be?:)

Its a linen fabric of some sort,  it was sold as a backing for drapes.  I bout a remnant 4 yards 54" wide and used to have the number and when I tried researching it, it was discontinued and the number was a hobby lobby internal number.  Ive played with ballistic nylon and they work but I like the linen the best

I mostly use the Tyvek I get for free from the USPS envelopes.

Secured in place with a knock out test cap with the center knocked out.

No gluing and I can switch membranes in seconds.

I did buy some 8"x 8"sheets of fluidizing plate for a great price off of Ebay a few years back.

used two of them and am saving the third one. I have no idea of the micron size.

One issue I did have was PVC pipe id does not match up with standard holesaw sizes. So I used the closest holesaw size and finished them by sanding down to size on a power sander. It worked but was a bit of a pain.

The Tyvek membranes are free and work great the test caps cost me $.81 each.

Having used all types I would recommend not buying fluidizing plate until you have used a fluid bed for awhile and are certain on what size cups work best for you. You may find you do not want to use it anyway.

I have also heard TJ's will sell you pieces to fit standard PVC sizes so you can make your own cups.

• Like 1