TN Angler

Plastisol question from a newbie

Hello all. I’ve recently decided to  take the plunge into making soft plastics. I currently pour my own jigs and build my own rods and really enjoy the DIY approach. I have been watching a lot of YouTube vids and reading the forums but I’m having a hard time deciding on which type of plastic to use(hard, soft, or regular). I have a  punch style bait mold that I got as a Christmas gift and plan to add a keitech type swim bait for swimjig and chatter bait trailers, and a senko type mold. If I ever find a buzz frog mold I like I may purchase one of those as well. I’m not interested in selling my baits just making what I use the most of so I’m trying to cut the learning curve as much as possible. So what grade of plastisol do the local experts recommend for those types of molds?

Stick baits like a senko have the most action using a soft plastic. If you use senkos more than any of the other baits, soft would probably be the way to go. If you ever get into making some of the finesse style baits, soft works best for those too. Most everything we produce uses a soft formula except for our crappie baits, jerk baits & frogs.

Everyone has their own preference.  I suggest you experiment and determine yourself.  The following is a great starter kit that you can use.

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/655-Soft-Bait-Kit.aspx

I too prefer a softer plastic for most of my stick baits/worms. a medium for swimbaits, a firmer version for my bigger baits, but ..... I consider myself to be a Hobbyist lure maker.  

I have had debates online with people that want firmer plastic for durability in salt water, but I prefer soft.  I don't mind changing out lures often.  But, if you were selling lures, people may not like torn lures all the time.

Like I said, preference.  Get a medium, some softener, some hardener, some heat stabilizer, and let your imagination go free.:yes: