Pickadoll

Drilled holes in the wrong place...

Hello everybody! 

Today I made a big misstake at the workshop. I drilled 1 of 2 weight holes in the wrong place on 50 lures today.I dont know how I managed to do that haha!

Is there a good way to fill these holes up and then drill new holes in the right position? 

Maybe by making a filler by mixing epoxy and saw dust?

The wood I use has the density around 0,65-0,75m3 and the epoxy I use has the density just over 1,0 so the epoxy is heavier than the wood. 

/Pickadollbaits 

I use bondo.  

If I want to lighten a bait, I just put some doubled tissue paper over the hole, lightly packed  into the hole a eighth of an inch+-  with the same sized drill bit as the hole, and use a drop or two of super glue to make it rigid.  After that, I use bondo to cap the hole.  The super glue usually makes the tissue rigid enough to hold the bondo until it sets, and I sand the bondo to the shape of the bait, once it's set.  

Finally, I wipe some super glue over the bondo to strengthen it, too.

Edited by mark poulson

If its critically balanced gliders david, I've used closed cell foam or balsa dowel which adds slightest of bohyancy.  Glue in hole leaving enough room to add tiny bit of whatever  lead needed to balance  before filling with your usual filler. It does mean ballast adjusting and tank testing each one though ......glider

• Like 1

Lots of ways to do it.  If I had 50 lures to fix, I’d probably use an epoxy putty stick.  Just knead it up, cram it in the holes, smooth surface to match with a wet finger and 5 minutes later, you’re ready to go.  It drills and sands like a hardwood, with similar density.

Just re-read pickadoll ,if it's seriously big and deep ballast holes, surely just fill with dowel or foam ? Then re- balance with new ballast hole ?  much easier and less messy and wont take a huge amount of epoxy if it's 50 big ballast holes . Hope you get it sorted o.k .  ......glider

Edited by gliders

For 50 holes, I'd just mix up enough bondo to fill all the holes, doing it in smaller batches with less catalyst to give me more working time. 

Bondo is not very heavy, so it shouldn't affect your baits's weight too much.  You can do one, and test it's weight.

It's cheap,  fast, sands out easily, and available at any building materials store, like Home Depot or Lowes.

If the new hole is going to be in this existing hole then you need to cut a plug of same wood with grain direction going same way as lure. This will help eliminate the new hole from wandering to one side. Cut plugs 1/32" long and touch sand to exact shape. A dowel rod has the grain going the wrong direction and will be harder to sand.

• Like 1