Jig Man

Split rings on jigging spoons

I haven't used my spoon mold for a few years.  With all the cold we are having I've decided to do some winter spoon fishing.  My mold makes 3/4 oz spoons.  I'm using a #7 split ring and having a heck of a time getting them installed.  My split ring pliers just won't open them wide enough to fit the thickness of the spoons.  When I manage to get one on it is misshapen most of the time.  

Anyone got any tricks or ideas?

I will get this started, but obviously a photo of the misshapen ring would help.

1) Sounds like if you are having troubles getting the ring open enough, you need a larger split ring pliers.  They make different sizes.

2) Sounds if you need a larger split ring for your eyes if they are misshapen.  It could be the small pliers are the problem, but a larger ring may also help.

I hope this helps.  I am sure others will chime in soon.

I hate that jigging spoon with the lead eye.  I'd much rather use the casting spoon.    The hammered spoon is a PITA.  

I cast the casting spoon in sizes 1/2 to 2 ounce.    I'm also a big fan of the Bomber style jigging spoon in all three sizes.  Also the shad spoon and shad bait lure.

Using lead spoons is a big part of the fishing here in North Texas.  I normally have around 100 lbs of spoons in my boat.  I try and have a couple dozen of each color in the most popular sizes,  The top colors are white, chartreuse, silver, and white/chartreuse.  Then I have to have a few of each size/color in the odd ball stuff.  Then I need to have some of the fancy ones I paint.  They add up quick.

Here's some pictures.

slab1.jpg

Slab2.jpg

Slab3.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 1:47 PM, Jig Man said:

So I did not know there were different sizes of split ring pliers.  I'll have to check around and find some.

Will these get the job done.

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Premium-Split-Ring-Pliers--P1019.aspx

Yes that's what I use for all my bigger split rings up to a size 10 which is the biggest split ring I have ever found.

I use a ton of #6XH and they work great for that.

Those pliers are made by Xuron and are a very good quality pliers and I highly recomend them for larger split rings.