Brushhog Billy

Welding hooks

7 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Most hooks nowadays are tempered in one way or another.

I'm no welder, but I think the heat from welding a thin hook wire would probably take away it's tempered strength.  I think it's call annealing, when you heat a piece of metal to soften it.  

That is correct, so if you do weld it, it needs to be re-tempered.  You would heat the hook, and whatever it was attached to unfortunately, to a medium red color and quench in oil.

Most of the time the process used is soldering which uses a much much lower temperature and will not soften or anneal the metal.  With this, you do not need to reheat and quench.

To remove a soldered hook, a small soldering pen or iron used for electrical circuits will work well.  Just heat the solder and remove it.  They use to be available at all Radio Shacks (I don't even know if this store survived).  Replacing is done the same way; heat the hook and item, place the hook and item together, use a low temperature solder to fill and attach. 

PS, use to do this on some ice jigs I made out of small blades.

• Like 1

If you are talking about hook on a willow leaf blade like the old Rembrandt "jigs" we used for ice fishing they are soldered on so if you want a different hook just use a small torch or soldering gun and melt the solder and then hold a new one in spot and solder it in place.

Edited by walleyeking