Brushhog Billy

Welding hooks

You cannot weld a steel hooks to a brass blade. Now you can weld a steel hook to a steel blade, however the plating on the hook and the blade will be compromised and will have to be re-plated to keep it from rusting after welding.  I recall awhile back some of the guys silver soldered the hooks onto blades, or it might be a slightly different process. I have tried silver soldering in the past, and it didn't work for me. You have to have the right flux (resin) and solder to do the job correctly along with the correct heat temp. the first thing that comes to mind is the Johnson Silver Minnow Spoon.

• Like 2

Yes, if you are not using steel blades, you do need to find a low temperature solder that will work on both the steel hook and the blade material.  Flux might help, but I could do it without it.  Sure wish I still had the stuff, but I stopped ice fishing years ago and so did not need the stuff to connect hooks to blades anymore.

One other thing that can be done is to, well, epoxy the hook to a blade.  You need to roughen up the blade surface some first.  Then you can mix Tungsten powder into a slow cure epoxy.  If you mix equal amounts of Tungsten Powder into equal amounts of mixed epoxy, it weighs the same as lead.  

My Tungsten Powder came from Alumilite and I used Devcon 2-Ton epoxy.  If you roughen the blade it adheres just fine.  

But, 

9 hours ago, cadman said:

the plating on the hook and the blade will be compromised and will have to be re-plated to keep it from rusting after welding.