Super Ron

Tackle Show Opinions

Ok guys, I need a little advice.     My son and I are doing 2 tackles shows.   The first show at the end of February is a 2 day event.  Then a week later is a 1 day tackle swap meet where people mostly sell used fishing items.  My son is making all the plastics and plans on having about 600 bags done.   A friend of my sons' will have hand tied jigs (how many he is bringing, I don't know).    I've been working my butt off and have a little over 950 hard baits painted.  

Is this enough?    We are not trying to make a six figure salary doing this.   Just enough to help my son brand himself (as he puts it) and to pay for my supplies that I consider non disposable.  Meaning hooks, blanks, hook bonnets, etc.   It's just to keep me busy during the days as I'm retired.

So from you that have done this kinda thing before, have I made enough cranks?   The quality  and the price I'm charging is really good, so I am not worried about anyone looking at my stuff and saying they suck or the price is too high.   I've just never done something like this and need some advice.    I'll take any advice or opinions.

Ron

I used to work boat shows, where we were able to set up for free, because of my friend ship with the owner of the business. If you have to pay a large amount to set up, you could be very disappointed. The question is, will my baits appeal to the fishermen there, and if it does, is the price fair?  Sometimes you just never know. We did very well, because we did not have to pay, to put our baits out there, and we always made a good profit.

But the one thing that is for sure, this will help you get your name out there. And possibly, give you some return customers. As far as the amount of tackle your taking, it could be too much, or you could sell out fast., It just depends on the amount of traffic, and the mood of the crowd.

Hope you do great, I always had fun.

It's not about whether anyone buys any or not.   In some ways, I want to sell out but in other ways I don't want any to sell because I really dig some of them.  Realistically I expect to sell a few, have a bunch of gator arms as Rod put it, and then I expect some sporadic orders here and there as my son gets the website up in the next month.  This has been a number of years in the dreaming stage to finally do this.   So keep a look out for  Run-N-Gun Tackle

My big question is Do you guys think showing up with 950 plus hard baits is a respectable number to show up with?  Did I overdo it or underdo it? 

Rod:  The Omaha Fishermans Swap Meet is March 3rd.   Come by and say hi or if you have tables yourself let me know  and I'll come by.   Be nice to meet someone who does this kind of stuff and swap ideas and stuff.

Ron

2 hours ago, Super Ron said:

It's not about whether anyone buys any or not.   In some ways, I want to sell out but in other ways I don't want any to sell because I really dig some of them.  Realistically I expect to sell a few, have a bunch of gator arms as Rod put it, and then I expect some sporadic orders here and there as my son gets the website up in the next month.  This has been a number of years in the dreaming stage to finally do this.   So keep a look out for  Run-N-Gun Tackle

My big question is Do you guys think showing up with 950 plus hard baits is a respectable number to show up with?  Did I overdo it or underdo it? 

Rod:  The Omaha Fishermans Swap Meet is March 3rd.   Come by and say hi or if you have tables yourself let me know  and I'll come by.   Be nice to meet someone who does this kind of stuff and swap ideas and stuff.

Ron

When I saw this post I wondered if you were talking about the Des Moines and Omaha shows. If have done the Omaha shows for about 10+ years and Des Moines just once. Just one time selling my own lures at each venue.  Have you done either of these 2 shows before? I will message you with my phone number if want to ask questions about what I think you can sell

On 1/7/2018 at 12:19 PM, Super Ron said:

IMHO, for a lure that is not known, it is to many, but for a lure that is hot, it is far too few.

But, I don't believe that shows are intended for YOU to make money.  It is for you to get your name and product out there.  

21 hours ago, Salty's said:

There's 3 people who make money at a tackle show. IT AINT YOU

It is however....

The Hall

The Show promoter

...and the IRS..........

Tackle shows are a complete and utter waste of time and money. Glorified flea markets in most cases.

I think Salty is a bit of an OLD SALT on this one.  LOL; even flea markets make money at times, in the right venue, in the right area.  But, the Hall and Show Promoter do make the early money.  Once your name is out there, once people start to order, once you get the bait into stores, then the show's value starts to show.

The big thing is to have fun.  A friend of mine tried to make hunting shows his basis for starting a business for selling camouflage.  It failed.  But, he did not try to push on line or into the stores.

Edited by Anglinarcher

I’m with Salty on this...I’m sure he has done his share of shows as have I .. They really don’t do much for you.You Work your butt off getting ready for the show and have people approach you like your having a garage sale..they forget you have expenses..etc...

Maybe You can find out what shows Anglinarcher sets up at..It sounds like he may do well at his shows..Nathan

I am going to a musky show with only 100 lures and don't expect to sell them all. We just want to get our name out and decide if we want to go retail which is putting out the lures into a store and hope they pay on time.  Plus we will and are going to go online. I'm old but my grandson is young and full of energy, plus more money he works and I am on retirement.

Wayne

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter what I sell, if I sell, or how much.   Gives me something to occupy my time and according to my son help make his brand as he wants to be on the FLW or BASS circuit on day.

I was most concerned if I had enough stock because I didn't want to do this and not have enough product displayed to make us look legit so to speak.    After talking to Rod on the phone (thanks), I know I over did it.    Which is normal for me to overdo things.  So I feel better now.  LOL

• Haha 1

I have sold a number of different things at shows and there is one huge factor in what you end up selling it’s salesmanship 

You can’t just sit there and let your product be your only selling point. 

If you have the gift to excite people when you talk it can double your sales. If you have a reputation as a good fisherman that’s huge. You also need to catch there eye and draw them in. Having a voice that is heard by others walking by as you promote to a customer in front of you plus

If you just sit there don’t expect amazing results. 

• Thanks 1

There is a boating and fishing show in my area every winter.  Used to be a lot of booths selling custom lures and plastics 10-15 years ago.  Lately, only the mid to large scale lure builders and boat dealers can afford to rent space.  I quit going because I can see their stuff online and don’t want to pay $6 for parking and the $8 entrance fee just to walk around.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nathan said:

Maybe You can find out what shows Anglinarcher sets up at..It sounds like he may do well at his shows..Nathan

LOL - Maybe so Nathan.  Have not done it recently, but some good ones in Washington, Oregon, and Northern California.  Still, as I contended before, 

23 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Once your name is out there, once people start to order, once you get the bait into stores, then the show's value starts to show.

The show is the first, and often the most expensive, baby step.  Actually, now that we have Ebay, that is a possible way to get exposure, but ......... while I think you could sell off excess baits, I doubt it gives the type of exposure you want/need.

15 hours ago, BobP said:

There is a boating and fishing show in my area every winter.  Used to be a lot of booths selling custom lures and plastics 10-15 years ago.  Lately, only the mid to large scale lure builders and boat dealers can afford to rent space.  I quit going because I can see their stuff online and don’t want to pay $6 for parking and the $8 entrance fee just to walk around.  

I will admit, this seems to be a trend in a lot of areas.  Years ago I use to travel to Salt Lake City for the shows, just to pay the parking and entrance fees and enjoy the shows.  Now that I live here, they are no longer worth going to.

Seems we are loosing a lot of the things we use to really enjoy.  I guess if you can't do it on a computer or a game controller, or on social media, it just is not going to happen.

The nature of these shows has changed over the years.

It used to be there were tons of vendors with lots of products to sell, and even some outfits that had booths selling discount products and seconds.  These shows were the only game in town, and people flocked to them to see the latest and greatest.

I looked forward to the Anglers Marine Bass-A-Thon in Anaheim, CA, every year, because I knew there'd be lots of new stuff, and pros to talk and give demonstrations.

But Anglers stopped having their show last year, for the first time in 20+ years.  I know it was a labor of love for Rick Grover, the owner, so it had to stop making financial sense for him to stop doing it.

With computers and the internet, people can go online and find just about anything they need/want, and that has cut way down on the number of vendors at shows.  No more little guys.  If you aren't a big outfit, with an advertising budget. it's just too expensive for a little guy who is a niche builder.

• Like 1

To be honest, I have wondered about a group of niche builders getting together and starting a web site to sell their baits.  The cost of the web site is minimal, and if responses and reviews were not allowed a moderator would not be needed, so ........

Just brain storming.  Just thinking with my fingers.

2 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

To be honest, I have wondered about a group of niche builders getting together and starting a web site to sell their baits.  The cost of the web site is minimal, and if responses and reviews were not allowed a moderator would not be needed, so ........

Just brain storming.  Just thinking with my fingers.

I know of at least one site that tried that.  It folded because there weren't enough builders who wanted to sell online, and not enough web traffic to the site to sell what was there.  They eventually gave the site away, and it was renamed, but it didn't do any better.

I think word of mouth doesn't work on the internet, unless it's on a social media website. 

We all love what we do, and we come here to learn and to share with other like-minded people, but I don't think the majority of members here are interested in pursuing bait building as a paying venture.

17 hours ago, mark poulson said:

We all love what we do, and we come here to learn and to share with other like-minded people, but I don't think the majority of members here are interested in pursuing bait building as a paying venture.

I agree with this completely, but I have sold and do on occasion.  My son and his brother-in-law want me to do more of this.  His brother-in-law works at a store that wants all they can get, but........ at a price I cannot do and a quantity I cannot handle as a hobbyist.

Web Sites of the past may not have worked, but, like you said, social media, combined with a current web site just might.  I see a lot of fisherman activity on Facebook, and advertising targeting them would not be too expensive.  Additionally, word of mouth for the Facebook generation IS FACEBOOK.

I remember the first business Email account I set up.  The owner almost fired me for it because "Email" would never ever take off.  Almost all business is now done via Email.  I was just ahead of my time.  Perhaps the web sites that failed were ahead of their time.

At my age now, I find that I am no longer "ahead of my time", but "out of time".  Ugggg  LOL

• Haha 1