southernmost

Paul Brown Lures Eye Paint

Hey everyone,

Paul Brown Lures are extremely effective hear on the Texas Coast. Aside from being well made, I think a big reason for their effectiveness is the large eye that is painted on the sides of each lure. I have attached a picture of one of the lures for reference. It looks as though the eyes are painted, as they clearly are not the typical adhesive eyes found on other lures. They protrude from the sides of the lure, and almost feel as though they are just globs of some kind of paint. 

My question is, has anyone tried to replicate this type of eye and had success? I'm wondering what kind of paint was used to create this. Any information you folks have would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Paul Brown.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southernmost said:

Hey everyone,

Paul Brown Lures are extremely effective hear on the Texas Coast. Aside from being well made, I think a big reason for their effectiveness is the large eye that is painted on the sides of each lure. I have attached a picture of one of the lures for reference. It looks as though the eyes are painted, as they clearly are not the typical adhesive eyes found on other lures. They protrude from the sides of the lure, and almost feel as though they are just globs of some kind of paint. 

My question is, has anyone tried to replicate this type of eye and had success? I'm wondering what kind of paint was used to create this. Any information you folks have would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Paul Brown.jpg

I remember a TU member posted a how-to on making 3D eyes years ago.  I think he used marbles to make smooth depressions in clay, and then poured in colored epoxy, but that was a long time ago, so I could be wrong (again).

There are 3D black eyes available online.  Check some of the site sponsor's websites.

Edited by mark poulson

I have made 3D eyes, and the process I use is similar to Mark's memory.  Just to clarify, you cannot dome paint on a lure consistently so I doubt that Paul Brown Lures are painting them.

I used doll eyes that I got at a hobby house that were the size and shape I wanted.  I then used contact adhesive and stuck them to some plexiglass.  I made a mold box around the eyes and hot melt glued the box to the plexiglass to seal the bottom.  I then poured in some Alumilite HS3 and let it cure (about a half inch thick).

When I removed the box and Silicone I had perfect eye shapes.  

Once I had the eye shapes, I used and Alumilite clear resin, but as Mark suggested, a clear epoxy would work.  I prefer the Alumilite clear, and would suggest perhaps https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1023-Amazing-Clear-Cast.aspx.  If mixed slow, few bubbles will be left and they will float to the top.  If you indeed want just a solid color, you can add pigment.  What I did istead is to pour the "eye cavities" full, use a syringe with some createx paint, inject a little into the uncured Clear Cast, then painted the back of the uncured Clear Cast.  Once it cured, I got an excellent 3D eye.

I attach the eyes with superglue and then clear coat over the eye and entire lure.  I will attach a picture of a part of the lure with the eye on it.  Sorry that the one I have a picture of is out of focus and not perfect, but it is something I had on hand.  You can make the eye as large as you want.

But, I do believe that the lure you showed has an eye done in two parts.  A white stick on with a one color dome stick on, glued in place.  I cannot tell if the lure was cleared over it.

Eye Close-up.jpg

• Like 1