shallow water assassin

Logo Charity Spinnerbaits

That must be me. I did all of the Chicago sports teams (Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Bulls and the Blackhawks) on a white spinnerblade. I will try to give you some insight first, and then you can ask more questions, or we can discuss this process by phone. I will help you out the best I can.
#1. First and foremost, make sure you get a written letter from someone in the organization, which will allow you to put a logo on your blades. The reason I say this, is everything is fine until someone sees it and tell you that you can't do this. With a letter you can show them that you have been given the OK to do this. Make sure that person you ask has authority to sign off on this. If you sell them, you will have to make sure that the design is signed off by the person who created it. I was making them for family and friends and not selling them, so I did not need any permission from the NBA, NHL, MLB etc.
#2 Now that, that is out of the way, I have a tutorial at home, that I can send you. PM me your
e-mail.
#3 Here is the whole process in a nutshell:
a. Get your logo or artwork.
b. Put it on some publishing software or graphics software so you can scale and print your image in full color.
c. Find out what size blades you will be using, and then scale your image to fit the blade. At first, print your image in black and white to save on ink. Once you get the size you want, then you can use color. Print all your samples on paper first.
d. Next step is to print on clear decal paper. I used a water base decal paper. It also comes in inkjet and laser paper. So buy whatever paper suits your printer.
e. Once you print it on the decal paper, make sure the ink dries really well about 2-3 hours.
f. Once it is dry, you have to spray the entire decal with a fixative. The fixative keeps the ink from lifting and bleeding.
g. Let fixative dry for a day.
h. Once fixative is dry, trim your decal as close to the image as possible. Put it in warm water, and once it loosens from its backing, slowly and carefully slide it onto your blade surface. Make sure the surface of the blade is wet, or you’ll rip the decal, as it is very delicate.
i. Once you have the decal positioned on your blade where you want it, take a very damp tissue (not paper towel), and lightly dab and wipe decal from the center out to get rid of bubbles. Do this gently or you’ll rip the decal and you will have to start all over again.
j. Let dry for a day and then clear coat with E-Tex or D2T. If it is a white blade, E-tex is clearer then D2T.
That is it. I will try to find that tutorial. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. This is a very slow laborious process, but it is fun to do if you have the time and the results are outstanding.. If you are going to do hundreds of these, this is not the process for you. I think that process is called hot ink stamping.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 2

I've done both inkjet decals and laser decals.  Its my understanding that laser ink is not water based, but of course you still have to protect the adhesive base of the decal from moisture or it will just come off.  I've done lots of fishing rods with black and white laser when I have donated them to various organizations.  Rod Provided by - My Company.  I don't use any fixative.  I just let them dry in the sun for a few days, and then coat them with clear epoxy. 

However, there was another poster here who did laser engraving on spinnerbait blades.  It looked really classy and was a little more subtle than decals.  Of course its purely a matter of personal taste. 

• Like 1

I think some places have a stamp that puts on the logo but could be wrong.  Would this be an option?  I thought I saw that one of the major blade suppliers offers a stamping option for logos. 

Maybe if you aren't worried about a super detailed or absolutely perfect logo, maybe a simple stamp would work.  I think some of the office supply places make custom stamps, maybe they could do a stamp that would work on a blade and then you could clear over it.  Potential cheap solution but I've not tried it.  

On 1/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, EironBreaker said:

I think some places have a stamp that puts on the logo but could be wrong.  Would this be an option?  I thought I saw that one of the major blade suppliers offers a stamping option for logos. 

Maybe if you aren't worried about a super detailed or absolutely perfect logo, maybe a simple stamp would work.  I think some of the office supply places make custom stamps, maybe they could do a stamp that would work on a blade and then you could clear over it.  Potential cheap solution but I've not tried it.  

If they are doing a lot of them they are probably using a process called pad printing. 

• Like 1