DingerBaits

Wood Link

I know it was posted before. There was a link to a wood supplier by one of you guys. Mainly looking for some red or white cedar. Just got a new Rikon band saw and am going to be tooling around with some custom designs again. Any links to reputable suppliers with quality stock in wood would be great. Thanks Guys!

2 hours ago, AZ Fisher said:

Brian, I order Western Red Cedar from my local Lowes and it comes in in about a week. I get 2x6x8's, rough cut and cut them down to the size I need.   I think last time I ordered they were 15-20$ a stick.   Don't know about the link to the supplier.    Hope you find what you need!

Is that Cedar kiln dried?

4 hours ago, DingerBaits said:

I am looking for Kiln dried if possible. I know Menards up by me carries a lot of cedar, but I am not sure if it is dried. I will find out this weekend when I actually get a break from my hectic life. 

Typically their 1 x stock is kiln dried and I don't think any of the Menard's I have been in have anything but kiln dried woods stored inside.    The "never ending" 11% sale going on now also so will save a little.  

• Like 1

most box stores have kiln dried cedar. problem is .much of it sits in a lift outside. .red cedars very common to buy in Ontario Canada..we actually prefer white cedar. which is not common in lower Ontario..when you check lowes or homie depot,check weight of boards. some are holding lots of water even kiln dried.

14 hours ago, DingerBaits said:

I know it was posted before. There was a link to a wood supplier by one of you guys. Mainly looking for some red or white cedar. Just got a new Rikon band saw and am going to be tooling around with some custom designs again. Any links to reputable suppliers with quality stock in wood would be great. Thanks Guys!

What size? I can give you the name of a few shops in OR and WA but they are spendy... If you are just looking for like 1x1 Alaskan yellow just buy it from Saltys shop. I think he sells it in small quantities cheaper than I can find other places.

Just remember Cedar has some nasty oils that are harmful when inhaled so wear respiration when working with it, Western Red has grains and soft spots similar to pine whereas AYC/Port Oroford is much more consistent much like basswood but with water replant built in. 

I would personally recommend Basswood then. it is probably my favorite all around wood because it's got good buoyancy,  easy to sand/manipulate, cheaper more abundant and the grain structure is small and tight  a lot alike AYC(Alaskan Yellow Cedar). It just doesn't have the oils of cedar which are good and bad. I can purchase basswood locally at a few different hardwood distributors. Maybe call around and see if you can source it locally.

Poplar is OK with a nice grain structure, buoyancy, availability and I use it still to this day sometimes but I much prefer basswood. I would use poplar before Western Red Cedar because I hate the grain and soft spots you get with WRC. Like I said it behaves like pine when sanding with hard and soft spots. The only drawback with poplar I find is it will crack or split if I really try to crank down on a screw eye.

Central Wisconsin....no basswood available.   :D     

You can pay an arm and a leg and get basswood at Menards, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.   but I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks a board foot as just too easy to get if you live in WI, MI, IN, PA, OH, etc...   

Unless looking for something rare/special no need to order online as just paying a lot for shipping and usually being charged a premium.   Most of the common US woods are readily available locally for most of us in central/eastern US.   Bennett Hardwoods or Granite Valley will have it and probably  less than 30 minutes from you Dinger (along with cedar).   Any decent place will source what you want also with no issues.

Depending on who you know might find basswood for cheap (free) but will have to air dry it likely.   Around here many run small operations on their property and basswood typically cut and pushed into a burn pile to free up space for for more desirable trees.   I got about 250 board feet via this way just had to air dry it.

Edited by Travis

Travis, funny you mentioned  Bennett Hardwoods, after you mentioned that, I realized they are one of my customers at my current day job. and it is literally 5 minutes from me. This is why I love this site. You guys always have good info. And we have TOOOOO much Basswood here! It makes up 5% of our tree population ( i had to google it)

On 1/8/2018 at 5:37 PM, woodieb8 said:

most box stores have kiln dried cedar. problem is .much of it sits in a lift outside. .red cedars very common to buy in Ontario Canada..we actually prefer white cedar. which is not common in lower Ontario..when you check lowes or homie depot,check weight of boards. some are holding lots of water even kiln dried.

I got a 1x4x3 just to play around with today. Our menards keeps everything inside. Moisture content is super low from what I am seeing. and it is pretty straight. so I wont complain. 

• Like 1

Dinger, if you're looking for good quality basswood at a decent price try Heinicke Wood Products ( www.heineckewood.com/ ) in Wisconsin. You can order small quantities or custom cuts. I use their basswood for my other carvings. However, with that said, I do not use it for my crankbaits. I use paulownia. I did a water absorption test here a few years ago and found that basswood has a high absorbency rate. If it's not sealed thoroughly, it will swell up and pop your clearcoat.

• Like 1

In Manitoba (Canada), I have bought high quality clear cedar through Windsor plywood.  They have lots of kiln dried wood in different grades, from rough to clear (kiln dried, stored inside, laser straight grain, no knots, expensive).  However for me only  making a hand full of baits and playing around with some copy's, its nice buying only a few board feet of 2x8's of clear cedar.  I can buy two feet, cut it up into nice blocks and go from there.  They had all sorts of clear lumber there!   If you are mass producing, than this might get expensive.

The bad thing about kiln dried lumber is it doesn't want to stay that way. If it isn't stored where moisture content of the air is in the 5-8% range, the kiln dried quickly picks up the moisture out of the surrounding air (usually 10-15%) and looses the benefits of being kiln dried. The rule of thumb for green, fresh cut lumber to dry down to as low a moisture content as the surrounding air, is one year per each inch of thickness. A 2X4 should be dried for two years before you consider it dried. Length and width doesn't come into account. They use to recommend Lead base paint or wax on the end grain to keep moisture from escaping through the end grain and causing those long splits at the ends of the boards. You want the moisture to escape through the sides, top and bottom of the boards, that is why it takes so long to correctly air dry lumber.  Once it is air dried like that it is about as close in moisture content as kiln dried lumber that has been stored out doors under a shed . They all seek to find the level of the air that surrounds them.

Edited by Musky Glenn
  • Like 3