Tiderunner

Dyeing BUcktails

Many years ago I began dyeing my own bucktails. Living in CT. we get a generous harvest limit. 13 if you have all your tags. I only got 9 this season, but archery season is still open.

Having problems getting quality bucktails or the colors I needed I decided to go back to dyeing my own again after all these years, I remember brushing them out, scrubbing them, bleaching them. Then either salting the the tail or using borax to dry them.

What I don't remember is, if I skinned them out or not before dyeing. Can anyone here help me out with this? Skinning is not an issue for me, I can skin one out in minutes. But I don't remember if I have to do so.

Also, couple of color questions. I'm looking for a deep wine color dye, any suggestions where I can get the dye? Or buy a quality bucktail in wine color if I need to? Where can I find a color chart for Fly Dye? They offer lots of colors, but I can't find a color chart.

Where do you guys buy your dyes, and what if any other than  Fly Dye do you use?  It's been so long the last brand I used was Herters.

And finally what color is cerise? It means cherry in french, but what color does it come out to be?

I cleaned and cured 195 this yr. First I wash them in hot water and dawn dish soap,then after deboning  I put them in a  solution of water and alum for two weeks,then rinse and staple them on cardboard to dry,they come out like store bought.I use a dye called veniard dye its for feathers and hair. I only dye black, orange,yellow, red.

cuofm.jpg

Yes, skin them out before dying. If you don't, the fat will leech out from the bone area, and the dye will not take as well.  I get my tails from a guy that deals in pelts. de bones, washes, lays out to dry in a room with heater. No salt.  I bought 450 tails last year. Keep them in the freezer until needed. ( buck a tail) 

I wash them again in Dawn, white lightning, and synthrapol. (spelling??). I don't tac them out to lay flat, doesn't matter to me. After dying them, (180 degrees), I rinse them, toss them into the washing machine in a pillow case to keep hair out of Wifey's machine, and do a spin cycle.  Clip them onto  a cloths hanger to dry.

If you do like them flat, do what is posted in previous post. I use Pylam dyes. 

On 1/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, gaspumper said:

I cleaned and cured 195 this yr. First I wash them in hot water and dawn dish soap,then after deboning  I put them in a  solution of water and alum for two weeks,then rinse and staple them on cardboard to dry,they come out like store bought.I use a dye called veniard dye its for feathers and hair. I only dye black, orange,yellow, red.

cuofm.jpg

Tell me more about soaking them in alum.  I have used Dawn to clean then, synthropol added to the dye bath,  and I use Fly Dye.