Hawg Hooker

spinnerbait molds

Quick question....when loading a wire form in a doit spinnerbait mold, where does the hook need to be placed in mold. Are you supposed to center it or keep it closer to the back of the mold so you get more hook exposed. Also it seems like the hook wants to move around in the mold. The molds have the style hook you can use but i wanted to use a different hook, better quality. are you limited to just the hooks labeled on the mold.

Thanks guys!

As Apdriver has mentioned, you want the eye of the hook in an area of the bait that it doesn't stick out the side after it is poured.  The best spot depends on which spinner bait mold you have but generally it will be close to the center of the head. As for hooks, I use the VMC 7250 black nickel, I've been using them for 4 or  years now and really like them. I've also used the Gamakatsu 550, the Eagle Claw 608, Mustad 32608 and the Owner 5320 all with no issues so you should be fine with what you choose.

Hawg Hooker, something that I do, when pouring spinnerbaits, is to find me a piece of wood, that's half the thickness of the mold, and rest the wire form that hangs out of the mold on the wood. That way your form is not dangling down. and moving your hook while you try to close the mold. I hope I explained this so you can understand what I'm saying. Open the mold and then get the piece of wood and place it next to your mold for a rest for any part of the wire form to rest on. It should be flat , and the wire form and the hook should be level laying in the mold. Been pouring spinnerbaits for about 40 years, this always helped me  If the wood is thicker , or thinner it doesn't do nearly as well. I have made my piece of wood  by running it through my planer, until it was the right thickness.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saugerman said:

Hawg Hooker, something that I do, when pouring spinnerbaits, is to find me a piece of wood, that's half the thickness of the mold, and rest the wire form that hangs out of the mold on the wood. That way your form is not dangling down. and moving your hook while you try to close the mold. I hope I explained this so you can understand what I'm saying. Open the mold and then get the piece of wood and place it next to your mold for a rest for any part of the wire form to rest on. It should be flat , and the wire form and the hook should be level laying in the mold. Been pouring spinnerbaits for about 40 years, this always helped me  If the wood is thicker , or thinner it doesn't do nearly as well. I have made my piece of wood  by running it through my planer, until it was the right thickness.

Hope this helps.

Would seating small magnets where the wire forms lie help?

Thats a great idea! it seems the hook just seems to want to move around in the mold...the magnet would definitely keep the hook aligned properly during the pour. One other question to guys...a lot of the store bought spinnerbaits seem to have a slight bend directly off the lead part off the bait rather than straight line to the r bend of the shaft.  If thats the case is it just a matter of putting a slight bend in the shaft before loading it into the mold. The wire forms i bought are just the usual v shape which would be a straight connection to the hook in the mold. Hope this makes sense:)  Jason

1 hour ago, Hawg Hooker said:

so you actually put them inside the aluminum mold? i was thinking of just attaching them to the side of the mold...

Yep.

Got some 1/4" diam by 1/8" thick , from https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D42.

Carefully line up where you want them and drill a hole slightly larger than 1/4" (so the epoxy will ooze out).

Glue them in and away you go.

20 hours ago, Hawg Hooker said:

so they hold through the aluminum? i'm just trying to wrap my head around the placement...can you upload some pictures?

No you open the mold up ,you then drill a hole in the  face of the mold where the wire rests on the mold as deep/thick  as your magnet is making sure it is level with the face of the mold,then glue  the magnet in .

Edited by gaspumper
added info

I just use my thumb to put a little pressure on the end of the wire form and then it will stay in place.  I pinch the wire loop around the hook eye, place where I want it in the mold and close it.  While its on its side, grab the handle and put pressure on the end of the wire form as I turn it upright.   But I use a hot pot to pour from the side so this works for me.  Not going to work if you need to get under a bottom pour I'd imagine.  This allows me to make sure the wire form is centered with the mold also as I pour the lead.  Everything stays lined up.

I like the idea of the magnets also.  I'd guess that a couple magnets, one for the hook and one for the wire would keep everything centered also correct?