emptystringer81

Adding glitter to powder paint

I got a few pounds of powder paint from prismatic powder paint. I got a color called green olive. if anyone is wanting to do the same. It is really close to green pumpkin . My plan is to take a bunch of small containers and add different color glitter in each one. Well the glitter isn't working well for me Its either getting swished off when I dip it or it is melting and makes jig look aweful. I tried the .008 glitter I use for pouring plastics . I remember hearing about the clear powder paint for jigs, is that easier to add glitter in to get a top coat than adding glitter in  the powder paint?  I did try the blue and purple pearl powder that's for soft plastics and it came out great. I just sprinkled it on jig with a paint brush while it was still hot. But when I try to do this with glitter it don't look good. Help would be appreciated.

I have tried adding glitter to powder paint while using a fluid bed with a vibrator and it doesn’t work well. I think most guys that have success with glitter in powder don’t use it in a fluid bed. Because the glitter is heavier than powder, it will sink when the powder is fluidized. 

When I do glitter I use the brush tap method onto the hot paint then cure as normal. Works great.

It doesn't work nearly as well mixed in the paint beforehand.

Fluid bed is a must use item for me.

So much better than swishing in a jar.

Then tap on as little or as much glitter as you want . You may need to dip then reheat and add the glitter.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn
  • Like 1

When you want to add glitter to a color powder you have to add in clear powder.  Now, when you add the glitter and clear powder you have to shake or mix it really well and then you aren't going to be able to use it in a fluid bed. Apdriver is spot on, the glitter is heavier and sinks while the powder suspends higher up so you don't get even coverage and it won't be consistent.  The way I do it is in a 2oz jar, I add 1 tablespoon of glitter, 2 .5 tablespoons of clear powder and then fill the rest of the jar with my color powder. Then I dump that into a 4oz jar and shake it for a good 2 or 3 minutes to make sure it is well mixed. Now I have my glitter color and when I want to use it I shake the bottle again and dump some in a shallow wide bowl and swish my jig head through it and I get a really nice even glitter effect.  The reason for the clear powder is it helps keep the color powder from clumping up, if you don't know this then try adding 25% clear to a color that doesn't fluidize well in your fluid bed and see how much better it works.  You can also take clear and add glitter to that and then go over your color with the glitter topcoat, or if you use an epoxy topcoat you can add glitter to the epoxy and get the glitter on that way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, emptystringer81 said:

Thanks for the help smalljaw. I think what  I will do is have 4 or 5 bottles of clear  mixed with diff color glitter i use, and just dip it in clear top coat  last 

I am just a hobby pourer, so I don't know if this is true for production. 

I just keep stirring, to keep the flake mixed evenly, and I'm fine, even with a fluid  bed.