jcool3

Foiling vertical lead  jigs with etex and holographic nail foil

I use the Kingsley foils off of eBay.

I set my heat gun to ~350*-400*f and as soon as I feel I have hit the 325*f my foil binder needs to work I apply the foil and put it in my carpet lined vise.

After it  cools just a bit I open the vise and peel off the plastic.

I have not seen any evidence of heat causing issues with my foil.

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

So I had an idea while walking the dog tonight. Rather than rubbing the transfer on another way to apply even pressure is to pop it into a vacuum sealer bag and considering I did not put an under coat on it and it still turned out good.

large.VacPackLure.JPG.918fad174018142f43e41fc0d4ce5ae9.JPGlarge.VackPackResult.JPG.2cc71f67207ca45723f424f7a94aac89.JPG

Interesting, what layer is under the foil and what foil is this.  Foodsaver?  The details you are getting is pretty

awesome.  Bare lead?

Edited by jcool3

We were discussing WTP-Inc.com foils some time ago.  I asked questions of them regarding the thickness of their foils.

"Thank you for emailing us about the thickness of our tape products. As you are aware we have many different types of tapes, so it's hard to get the thickness for all of them. They can be anywhere from 4 mils to 10 mils thick of course the thicker the tapes are the harder they will be to apply to a curved product. The only product we would have that will take a curve is our Holoform tapes. The bulk Holoform tape is sold uncoated and is approximately 2.5 mils thick but the patterns and colors are very limited.

I have been on the Tackleunderground.com site many times the work that some of the guys do is incredible and innovative. Keep up the good work.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Ron Warczynski"

I offer the above for your use and review.  Personally, I have interest in the Holoform items for sure.

Tried  the etex method on Kingsley hot stamping foils sold by dc kelley on ebay.   Works great, as good as

nail art transfer foil.   About 95% transfer.  The 2 foils look very similar in thickness and the way they are

put together.  I let the etex cure about 7 1/2 - 8 hours before adding the foil.

Edited by jcool3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update

I mentioned that rubbing too hard when applying the foil would ruin the holographic effect.  I now figured out why.  The foil is not solid.Rubbing too hard causes the etex to ooze thru the foil, covering parts of the foil ...  So recommend a single thin coat of etex on the jig. Thicker or double coats make it more likely for the etex to ooze thru.  Of course waiting  for the etex to cure, stay on the jig and still be tacky is a prerequisite.

I also experimented with different ratios of etex resin vs harderner - up to 25% more of less resin vs harder.  Took a little longer to cure, but didn't seem to remain tacky much longer.  Sometimes lures remain tacky - I couldn't duplicate that and I suspect that lures remaining tacky is the result of improper mixing, not proportions,

Edited by jcool3

I totally agree thinner is better, The other week I did some balsa blanks using the vacuum bag to apply pressure.  I left the baits in the bag until I figure the e-tex was fully cured, I ended up with what was essentially parting lines between the sides of the vacuum bag .   Next time I try e-text it will be  thinned.   

A major advantage of e-tex vs spray adhesive is the smoothness of the surface.

What the Vac bag is showing me is that a foam press is the way to go. I like the around pressure, but the bags are too clunky.   

For pressing my foil on I use some carpet scraps placed in a wood workers vice.

One piece on each side.

I use some carpet with a thick knapp and it works great.

Close the vice as hard as I can around the jig. I leave the forceps on in the press as my jigs are hot when I do it.

Once tight I can immediately remove it then tear off the foil plastic cover.

Looks just like it was vac sealed on.

Every other jig or so I try to fluff up the carpeting with my fingers just a bit.

This E-tex sounds like too much work for me though.

You wait 8 hours for it to get tacky before foil application?

Them clear coat again over that?

Then again I am  strictly doing lead jigs and my foil bonder works great for that.

I paint on as thin a coat as I possibly can then heat with my heat gun, apply foil, and into the carpet lined vice.

Then clearcoat with D2T or Alumi-UV.