bobothewizard

Aluminum injection mold laminates?

Just received the ripper mold, 3 cavity injection mold. But I am at a loss on how to do laminates with these types of molds. For instance in the attached picture the top part of the swimbait is blue where the bottom is white. How would you get these two combined colors with an injection mold. I understand for something like a senko you can open the mold up, pour color into one side, let it cool and then inject the other side for a different color. But for this mold you cannot do that  and if you did the sides would be different colors not the top and bottom.

Pic1.jpg

Do It really likes to mess with you with their marketing and pictures on their website for the essential molds. If you pay attention to most of them (last I looked anyway) they show you a picture of a bait produced in a CNC mold. This is the case here, these baits were made in their single cavity CNC mold, not their essential mold. 

Just looked, EVERY one of the Essential molds have pictures of CNC baits for them. If you look close in the pic you posted you can see cutter marks in it, something you won't find in a sand cast mold. 

you are only going to be able to laminate one of the 3 baits in that particular mold, the one single cavity. 

On the do-it forum I have seen 2 ways "around" that problem.

One guy made a jig and just cut the bait and shot another color or two

The other was e-core  where a rod is put in the mold and after the first color is shot the rod is pulled and the tail cut off. you put the bait back in the mold and when the second color is shot it goes through the tube to fill out the tail.  It does make for some interesting bait possibilities.

I don't own a dual injector but these methods are at best "work arounds"

I build laminate plates for my molds.  I build them from aluminum flashing that at buy at Lowe's.

I shoot a color (either belly or back) take the mold apart pull the plate, pull the color I don't want, put the mold back together and shoot the other color.

20171213_171441.jpg

Edited by Jig Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok thats kind of what I was think what aulrich said. I didnt realize the pictures didnt match the mold, thats kind of funny that I was fooled. I think what I can do is just shoot a color, take the baits out and cut them in half, put them back in the mold and then shoot the top color. Interesting, thanks guys. Would a dual injector type setup shoot both colors? I havent really used a dual injector so I am not really sure how that works but i will read up on it.

Edited by bobothewizard

I have some molds that I can inject with two injectors at the same time and they laminate I also have others that swirl when I try it.  That is why I buy the aluminum flashing like shown in my pic and make laminate plates.  It only takes a few minutes to make one and you won't have to do all  of that bait cutting.

• Like 1

Ok one thing to shoot a two color bait if using a twin injector the belly needs to be on one plate and the top on the other . I shoot a 14 cavity mold in baby shad and get great baits. The temp has to be  around 300f when u are shooting or they will swirl or mix. If  your mold has one side on one plate and the other side on the other plate  i will say it will more than likely shoot one side one color and the other side the other color. the injector might can be turned  to where it would shoot top and bottom but on my mold if u turn it it will shoot one side of baits one color and the other side the other color. i do not have a mold like that so i don't know for sure. The lam plates if u have a mold that the sides are in each side it will only shoot the side. i have passed up molds when the belly and top are not on each plate. U can cut the bait in half and shoot the other half if the spur will let u. But shoot as hot as possible so it will bond to the cold plastic might even want to heat the mold  so both will stick together.The sand cast molds do not have a smooth finish, they catch fish but i don't like the way they look . The CNC molds spoil u LOL I like the smooth shinny  baits. Cub48

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, Jig Man said:

I have some molds that I can inject with two injectors at the same time and they laminate I also have others that swirl when I try it.  That is why I buy the aluminum flashing like shown in my pic and make laminate plates.  It only takes a few minutes to make one and you won't have to do all  of that bait cutting.

Laminate plates will not work to get a back/belly laminate when the left and right halves are in each mold plate, you will get the left half one colour and the right half the other colour. 

On 1/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, DaveMc1 said:

Do It really likes to mess with you with their marketing and pictures on their website for the essential molds. If you pay attention to most of them (last I looked anyway) they show you a picture of a bait produced in a CNC mold. This is the case here, these baits were made in their single cavity CNC mold, not their essential mold. 

Just looked, EVERY one of the Essential molds have pictures of CNC baits for them. If you look close in the pic you posted you can see cutter marks in it, something you won't find in a sand cast mold. 

you are only going to be able to laminate one of the 3 baits in that particular mold, the one single cavity. 

One thing you can do to get a laminate effect in the double cavity side is to pour stripes of your accent color down the sides of the open molds on both sides, and then close them and inject them with the main plastic at 335+- degrees.   You'll have to play around with the temps, and the width of the stripes, to see what works for you.

On 1/17/2018 at 2:33 PM, aulrich said:

On the do-it forum I have seen 2 ways "around" that problem.

One guy made a jig and just cut the bait and shot another color or two

The other was e-core  where a rod is put in the mold and after the first color is shot the rod is pulled and the tail cut off. you put the bait back in the mold and when the second color is shot it goes through the tube to fill out the tail.  It does make for some interesting bait possibilities.

I don't own a dual injector but these methods are at best "work arounds"

I made a jig out of wood so I could apply slight pressure on the body while cutting the belly off. Trim the nose at 45 degrees, place both back pieces in mold, and shoot belly color. Crude but effective.  Hope this makes sense. 

DC6C87C0-6401-444E-B0F8-D9CF5D58740A.jpeg

F0C4C43D-A748-4AF1-B27E-2F5B2476C879.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2018 at 2:10 PM, Jig Man said:

I build laminate plates for my molds.  I build them from aluminum flashing that at buy at Lowe's.

I shoot a color (either belly or back) take the mold apart pull the plate, pull the color I don't want, put the mold back together and shoot the other color.

20171213_171441.jpg

Hey Jig Man, love your flashing lamination plate. Did you just pick some flashing up at Home Depot and cut to your specs? What did you cut the flashing with? Looks nice and smooth.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:31 AM, DaveMc1 said:

Laminate plates will not work to get a back/belly laminate when the left and right halves are in each mold plate, you will get the left half one colour and the right half the other colour. 

You never know it might be a winner! Isn’t it Bomber who sells crankbait where each side is a different patter? As far as I’ve heard people really like them, and I think they call the pattern “Mistake” if I’m not wrong.

7904A1DB-2327-4F79-ACD7-946C1EED6D26.jpeg

13 hours ago, Porkrind said:

You never know it might be a winner! Isn’t it Bomber who sells crankbait where each side is a different patter? As far as I’ve heard people really like them, and I think they call the pattern “Mistake” if I’m not wrong.

7904A1DB-2327-4F79-ACD7-946C1EED6D26.jpeg

Bandit

LOL, I did not know that someone else actually did that.  They sure look better than mine.

2 hours ago, bobv said:

Bandit

I use them for sight fishing some big Brown Trout.  Sometimes they will follow a lure to the boat and turn away, so if I have a "second color" I can cast it to the other side and sometimes get them to take.

In reality, it is almost as fast to grab my 2nd rod.................... but.

16 hours ago, Porkrind said:

You never know it might be a winner!

I sure never expected this thread to take a turn like this.  ROFLOL

• Like 1