Hawg Hooker

spinnerbait blades

Hey guys...received an order from LPO last week. On the order i received some of there so called Premium blades. They were willow blades in size 4. I noticed that they were not even uniform in their shape. The teardrop shape had a slight dip in the center edge of them and they seemed rather thin for premium blades. I've been on most of the major sights shopping around but dont feel like buying a bunch to find the best quality and the best price. I'm open to suggestions on where to buy. I dont mind paying a little more for quality... Jason

If you order from Worth and don't have a business or Tax ID you'll need to add 10% to whatever the total is for FET tax.  That said, and I'm not sure if I'm getting this right, but you are saying that some of the blades are different than other or are they all the same just with a slight depression toward the edge?  Also, spinnerblades are thin and the ones you got are brass blades, do you have a caliper to measure the thickness? I use only Worth blades, I believe LPO blades are made by Lakeland and that is a big deal because Worth and Lakeland are different in their sizes. That fact is important to know with making a good spinnerbait, if you simply shop around for the cheapest blades you'll end up with blades listed as the same size but will actually be a 1/2 to 1 size smaller or larger than the previous blades you purchased, remember, there is no real industry standard so there is variance from 1 manufacturer to the next. My blades are roughly  0.02"  thick give or take but I use only Worth blades for 99% of the spinnerbaits I make so it is important to know the brand and all it takes is a phone call, most of the supply stores will be happy to help and will tell you what kind or who makes their blades.

Good information smalljaw! Thank you...Yes the blades i bought where all the same size. I don't have calipers but looking at other spinnerbaits i have they are thinner. They are just not a smooth willow shape.. Will Worth sell smaller quantities than listed on their website? What i have read they are the best but i don't need so many as of yet!!

Makes sense! My mistake...the blades were actually from Barlows. Kind of my Fault i bought 50 and all of them are sunken in slightly on the edge. I probably should try and return them to Barlows. Spent$66.00 on a Qty. of 50. If Small jaw  is correct these are Worth spinner blades...Does not seem to be the quality you would expect from Worth.

• Confused 1

$66.00 for 50 size 4 willow leaf blades sounds like you purchased Hildebrandt blades.  I've used Worth blades exclusively for close to 15 years and never got one with even a blemish.  Hildebrandt blades have the best finish and the brass seems a little thin which is why they spin so well but I'm not sure what you have. I'd love to see a picture of your blades, since they are all the same I'm guessing it is the design of the blade and I'm not sure what blade would have that.

1 hour ago, Hawg Hooker said:

Makes sense! My mistake...the blades were actually from Barlows. Kind of my Fault i bought 50 and all of them are sunken in slightly on the edge. I probably should try and return them to Barlows. Spent$66.00 on a Qty. of 50. If Small jaw  is correct these are Worth spinner blades...Does not seem to be the quality you would expect from Worth.

Hawg Hooker,

PM me your contact info and we'll figure out what you've got and how to make it right.  Excluding Hildebrandt, we don't carry any willow blades that run $66/50 count. 

-Matt Barlow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Hawg Hooker said:

Hey guys here is a picture of the blade. Its Premium Gold Willow Blade smooth Finish size 5.5IMG_0433.thumb.jpg.0aab06fc017dfbfa2c228bbc9806c292.jpg

Wow, that looks like the blades were stacked together and then ran over or compressed in some manner.  That looks a lot like what I call "oil canning".  Because the blades are normally stacked once made, and extremely strong at that point, that leads me to believe it was at the factory, and a one time incident.  Weird, very weird.