thesheriff1

Crankbait Help

Hey guys - Hoping I can get some help here...

Tried a couple of new muskie lures I made and they run a bit off.  They seem to want to  "tip" on their side when I increase speed on the retrieve, and end up almost blowing out of the water.

I didn't put any ballast weight in these, and the line tie is in the middle of the lip. If I added some ballast weight and put the line tie closer to the body of the lure would this help out? Maybe a slightly longer lip?

I know this isn't a great amount of info to go off of, but I'm going to start some more and experiment. The above is what I thought would help the problem, am I on the right track??

Thanks

**I have some slow motion videos, but they are on my phone. Is it possible to upload a video to this post??

Edited by thesheriff1

I agree with Hughesy, one thing at a time and start with the ballast.

You cannot directly upload a video to this site. 

You need to save it in something like Google Drive or microsoft cloud, then set the video link setting on THAT video to share.  You can then get a link to post and we can all see it.  This is what I have started to do on other sites.

The tried and true method is to post it on YouTube, but that creates other issues I don't like to deal with.

Posting pics of the lip and line time might also help, but do the ballast first.

Here are the baits in question. The lip and line tie all look to be right on the center line, along with the hook hangers. They didn't run as well as expected, but I am still a newbie in this hobby.

Hillbilly - It sits in the water nicely, the front 1/3 of the bait is just below the water and the other 2/3 the back is just out of the water. It also appears to be sitting upright as it should.

new bait.jpg

If your not happy with the action of a smaller lip a steeper angle is need. But this effects the depth it will dive to

This is why when I make a new design it is never finished without perfecting action. I find I need to mess around with a lot before I am happy

Hope a builder who relies more on intelligence then being stubborn to get this right can have a fast fix for you

The baits are about 12"OAL, with the body being about 9.5" and they weight 6-7oz

The grey one did run a bit better that the gold/blue. I purposely put different hooks on them to see how it affected action, the hooks on the grey lure are a bit heavier too. So I'm optimistic about the ballast being the issue

Thanks for the replies guys - this site is awesome!

I use egg sinkers and split shot, pinched onto my trebles, to determine how much ballast my lures need.  I like my divers to hand down head first, with a steeper angle on the deeper divers.  My maximum angle of hand down is 45 degrees+-.

Like Anglinarcher said,  I think the ballast point should be somewhere between the front and middle belly hangers, so I would add ballast to both of those hooks until I got the angle I wanted, and then weigh that ballast and add it between those two spots.  I think right below your gill lines would be the best location, but, since you have two identical lures, you can try different locations to see which one works best for you.