Hawg Hooker

Boss powder paints

Hey guys i have a question about Boss powder paints....I purchased a few different colors for use on some jigs. I did a few test runs with the powder and found out  that the paint chipped of the jigs very easily after a short time on the water. I used a heat gun for the initial application the baked in a toaster oven. I noticed on there web site after the fact that they recommend preheating the jigs in the toaster oven for 10 min at various temps.depending on the powder... then dipping them into the powder paint, and returning them to the toaster oven to finish.  Does anyone have any feedback on best process for these powders? Thank you guys! Jason

I use Protec powder.

I use a heat gun to get my jigs hot enough to dip in the powder to coat them, and then, when they've cooled enough to handle, I put them in my toaster oven and set it for 350 degrees.  I let them cook for thirty minutes from the time I first turn the oven on, no preheat, and then, after the thirty minutes, I turn the oven off, wedge open the door slightly with a piece of aluminum scrap, and let them cool for another thirty minutes.

The heads are hard, and I never have any chips.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawg Hooker said:

preheating the jigs in the toaster oven for 10 min at various temps.depending on the powder.

Jason, Actually, it doesn't matter at all how the jig gets to temperature, only that it gets hot enough.

Sometimes, if the jig is not clean, the scale will prevent proper adhesion.  

In the end, I do pretty much as Mark does and the Protec I also use works great.  I have a couple of other brands, but they are not sold now.

If you are baking your jigs in a toaster oven you will need an oven thermometer to check the temp. My current toaster oven is set at 325 and the temp is actually 354, my old one I had set at 385 to get 350.  I do my jigs at 350 for 15 minutes and I've used BOSS jig armor powder and had no issues, but here is the thing, when I say 15 minutes at 350, the temp of the oven hits 350 before that time begins. I don't just set my oven and put the jigs in for 15 minutes, my oven takes a hair under 4 minutes to reach 350 degrees, so I add 4 minutes to my cure time so I actually put my jigs in and set the timer to 21 minutes,  4 minutes for the oven to reach temp, 2 minutes for the jigs to start getting warm and then 15 minutes of a cure cycle. I also do as Mark does, and that is after the cycle my jigs sit in the oven with the door cracked to cool down for 20 minutes before I remove them, I don't know if that helps but I know that I can throw my jig against the concrete floor in my shop and the paint won't chip.

• Like 1

I use a propane torch to heat the jig and then cure in an oven. If you CAREFULLY read the statement on the website, it states not to use a torch or heat gun to CURE paint.  Using a heat gun or torch to heat your jig, or any other method has little to do with how well your paint holds up, it is the curing cycle. I think you either aren't getting the oven to proper temperature or your cure cycle is too short. Remember, 15 minutes at 350 degrees isn't putting your jigs in the oven and setting it to 350 and then turning it on for 15 minutes, it is the jig itself at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Boss recommends 400 degrees for 10 minutes for a lot of their paint, and other paints have different times and temps for different colors and to be honest, I'd pull my teeth out trying to figure out and remember what each color needs to be cured at. For me, 350 for a 15 minute cycle, and in my over that is 21 minutes due to heat up times, works for everything, I have tried every new paint I get with the throw onto the concrete floor test, not simply drop but I throw a painted head against the floor after the cure cycle is done to see if there is any chips, still haven't had any issues.

Edited by smalljaw

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Hawg Hooker said:

That's great information Smalljaw...i really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond!!  Obviously there is a lot more than i expected when i decided to start making my own tackle! It's a blast though and i see myself doing this for some time..

Jason

Jason, a lot of stuff looks easy but all of this has a learning curve.  If it was as simple as it looks there would be more people doing it. Keep a log, take a picture of your baits from the first ones you make then a year later and the 5 years after that, you'll be amazed at the difference.

• Like 1