Hillbilly voodoo

3D printing?

In theory, the external components can be mapped using a CNC with a mapping probe instead of a cutter.  This process actually records in CAD.

In theory, a laser 3D scan can also map the external components, but translating it to CAD language from spacial coordinates would require a pretty good program.

So, in theory, yes, but the process of finding the hardware and programs would be well beyond me.

So should be possible for someone who knows what they are doing with all this fancy computer stuff

Playing with the idea of getting someone to make me a smaller and larger master of one of my lures so I can make molds

No doubt I need to pay someone this crazy technology stuff is too complicated for me. All that CAD stuff you mentioned was basically an alien language to me lol

Just wanting to know its possible before I start bugging people. Don’t want to get the “you want what look” if I start trying to get it done 

We have a 3d scanner that can scan any object and it then puts it into a stl. format for 3D printing. What we normally do when scanning lures is to scan only half the lure showing the weight chambers and hook eyes. Then, any alterations to the lure can be made using the cad program such as size, weight placements, bill angles, ect. We then make a mirror image of the first half and have the completed lure.

deep crank.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

So should be possible for someone who knows what they are doing with all this fancy computer stuff

Playing with the idea of getting someone to make me a smaller and larger master of one of my lures so I can make molds

No doubt I need to pay someone this crazy technology stuff is too complicated for me. All that CAD stuff you mentioned was basically an alien language to me lol

Just wanting to know its possible before I start bugging people. Don’t want to get the “you want what look” if I start trying to get it done 

If this is a hobby thing, then there is a way to do this with a silicone mold.  You can actually enlarge and decrease the lure size using the method.  The following is how to shrink it by up to 25%.

http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx#prettyPhoto/71/

To enlarge it you do the opposite.

IF this is a hobby thing, this will work.  IF this is more of a production thing, I would get with Hughesy for sure.

15 minutes ago, Hughesy said:

any alterations to the lure can be made using the cad program such as size, weight placements, bill angles, ect.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

If this is a hobby thing, then there is a way to do this with a silicone mold.  You can actually enlarge and decrease the lure size using the method.  The following is how to shrink it by up to 25%.

http://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx#prettyPhoto/71/

To enlarge it you do the opposite.

IF this is a hobby thing, this will work.  IF this is more of a production thing, I would get with Hughesy for sure.

This method will meet my needs especially at the testing stage

Thanks a lot

You have been a help since the start with my shift from strictly carving my hard baits from wood

• Thanks 1

I think I will be getting into 3d printing myself I ran into this video it's about making a picture of a goldfish into a 3d model,  I think it would be applicable for transferring a lure into a cad model, for those without a 3d scanner. I think sketchup can drive a 3d printer but I am not sure.

14 hours ago, Hillbilly voodoo said:

This method will meet my needs especially at the testing stage

Thanks a lot

You have been a help since the start with my shift from strictly carving my hard baits from wood

No problem.  Many many others have helped me over the last 50 years.  I am just glad to help.

• Like 1