ScottyMac

Double Baking - Powder Coatings

X2 on what Cadman said. Some of my lures have 6 colors on them and I do not cure until I'm done painting.

As for curing a lure twice, I have never done it and will probably never try it. I cure my lures for 25 minutes and have never had a problem with the toughness of my paint. That and there are times that I paint enough lures that double curing would require me to purchase another oven.

There is 1 color I double cure, table rock shad. The reason is that color is chartreuse with a purple back, I add the purple back over top of the chartreuse and bake it and the purple blends into the chartreuse and turns brown. So now I paint my jig chartreuse and cure, not a full cure but a half cure, 7 minutes, that is long enough for the paint to initially set. After the 7 minute cycle I let the jig cool down and then heat it with my torch and add the purple and then bake it for a full cure cycle, the paint gets hard and the colors don't blend together. I will also say that this is the only color I've had to use this curing method with, I've done thousands of lures with all kinds of color combinations and a lot that involved chartreuse, even blue over chartreuse and the only one I ever had change was the purple over chartreuse.  Other than that 1 example I really think double baking is just wasting electricity.

• Thanks 1

I will say, that I have the same problem with yellow chartreuse and purple as smalljaw has. If you put all the colors on, the only color that doesn't come out is purple, and like mentioned, it turns brown once it is baked. So I will bake my entire jig  and then add purple for accent and any other color that goes after that. I do not bake again, I just heat it thoroughly until the purple blends in. Once it all cools, the purple actually looks like it is supposed to be "Purple". I also have a custom made blue that doesn't play nice with yellow chartreuse. It turns green. So I apply the same method to that color as well.

• Like 1

smalljaw reminded me that I had double baked once also, for the same junebug on chartreuse. I only done it once cause I switched to painting junebug and then brush tapping 1/2 of the bait chartreuse, no double baking required as the chartreuse covers the purple without blending.

LOL, that's the direction I'm just getting started toward. 

But I tell ya there is a trend to a more ultra compact flipping style with a short hook that I would really like to see a mold for.  I have meathooks for sure but those are 1/2oz jigs.  Anyone familiar with a similar mold to the cobra?

IMG_1068.JPG

3 hours ago, ScottyMac said:

LOL, that's the direction I'm just getting started toward. 

But I tell ya there is a trend to a more ultra compact flipping style with a short hook that I would really like to see a mold for.  I have meathooks for sure but those are 1/2oz jigs.  Anyone familiar with a similar mold to the cobra?

IMG_1068.JPG

The Do-it weedless flipping jig mold will make a jig that I bet performs almost like the one in the picture.

4 hours ago, ScottyMac said:

Well I guess this leads me to another question.  Since I'm new to this and my stuff hasn't really replaced too much of what was previously in my arsenal, how much tougher are our homemade finishes vs some of the retail jigs available?

Well, it is one of those answers that comes out sounding like I am dodging the question.

It depends.

They still sell "eye busters" for popping paint out of jig eyes, but it won't touch the powder paint I use on my jigs.  If I don't get them clean before I bake them, I have to drill them out.  So, that says something.

Some commercial jigs still use acrylic paints or vinyl paints because they are so easy to spray apply.  They usually apply a clear coat, but these jigs are what the "eye buster" pliers are designed for.

Some commercial jig makers are using powder paint for their jigs, and a lot of them are some the people on this site.  These jigs are every bit as strong as our "homemade finishes", because they use the same methods and techniques as the hobbyist.  I suppose in this case it is a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg...........did they do it first and the hobbyist copied it, or was it the other way around?

I see more and more commercial jigs, the retail jigs, becoming as strong as anything we do, but there are still a lot of the less expensive lesser quality finishes out there.

Like I said, it depends.:ph34r: