Robbins

Twitchbait what am I doing wrong

As you can see I attempted to make a twitch bait.   I made it from pvc.   Lure measure 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" at its tallest point.  It does not have a quick wobbling action it's more a real slow action depending on the tow point. I've tried different lips, sizes and different materials.  I've also tried to weight the rear to see if that helped, but nothing seems to work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated  

IMG_2379.JPG

try tying a different knot on the line tie, or use a clip on there. Then you will know the actual wobble. with the heavy braid being right tight to the line tie, you will have a different action. most of the twitch/ jerkbaits i have seen have a more flat lip angle to. That might change it a little. I am not an expert at all on these things, but just basing it off experience with plastic bait designs and how Rapalas react differently when they have the Rapala Knot tied over a regular knot.

2 hours ago, ravenlures said:

I think you are making too many moves at the same time. One move and write it down then go from there. Two different thickness on the lips will make a difference also plus square or round make difference. Good Luck!

Wayne 

First, Wayne is dead on with this one, do one thing at a time.

50 minutes ago, Robbins said:

I just put my weight at about 3 inches from the rear.   

Im think I might need a tad bit more weight in it

I think not.  I would do thing one at a time, but less weight, not more, increases the action of lures.  Also, the ballast should be centered around the forward hook on this style of lure, not near the rear.

Can you give us a photo from the front of the lure?

PS, I see you are new to us.  Welcome to the site!  It is good to have new people get involved.

5 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

First, Wayne is dead on with this one, do one thing at a time.

I think not.  I would do thing one at a time, but less weight, not more, increases the action of lures.  Also, the ballast should be centered around the forward hook on this style of lure, not near the rear.

Can you give us a photo from the front of the lure?

PS, I see you are new to us.  Welcome to the site!  It is good to have new people get involved.

Thanks!  So basically what your saying is to just put enough bottom weight to keep it upright all the time?     I will take a frontal pic when I return to the shop

I,m pretty sure everything looks correct on you lure. I really think our whole problem is the placement of your weight. Anglinarcher is correct about the placement of your weight. That is why I asked earlier where it was. I would play around with the the placement of the weight, and start with it around the front hook. But don't be afraid to move it closer or further from the nose of the lure. It should solve your problem.

Any floating lure that is taller than it is wide will float on it's side.

You need enough ballast to get it to float upright.

A smaller, more vertical lip will help it to twitch on the surface, instead of diving.

Each bait is different, depending on it's own particular shape.  Keep trying different stuff, one change at a time, and write down how each change affects the bait.

It will take some doing, but what you learn in the process will stay with you for a lifetime.

40 minutes ago, Robbins said:

Ok this is my new trial lure.   No weight as of yet.  Can I just drill numerous holes in the belly and move lead weight around to get it correct.      Also should my lure float upright with no belly weight in it.   As of now it floats on its side

Everyone has their own way of weighting a lure. One method I like to use is to place tungsten putty on the belly of the lure. Make sure you have all of your hardware on the lure, hooks, splits rings. With the putty there is no need to drill holes and you can easily move it anywhere on the lure. It is also easy to add or subtract weight. Once you have the lure working, mark where the putty is and remove it. Weigh the putty and drill a hole and fill it with the equal weight of lead.

https://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Putty-PineSpeed-Pinewood-Accessory/dp/B01FYCS54G

• Like 2

What do you want the lure to do when retrieving it?   After you get the ballast settled you need to swim it and see if the action is what you want.  The lip seems fairly wide to me, which tends to minimize the side to side excursions the bait will make when ripped.  If it doesn’t suit you after testing, consider narrowing it. 

• Like 1

Even cliping weight on the front hook will work to start.  I have superglued pieces of lead to the spots and then just popped them off.

But, yes, you can just drill out a bunch of spots.  Normally it is not enough to change it that much.

As for the lip, I find that short/wide lips create more side to side wobble.  Herters use to make a minnow called the Finland Minnow, a bad knock-off of the Rapala just after the Rapala started to gain distribution in the US.   They had even wider, but shorter, lips.  The style you have tends to give it more roll, but that is what Rapala wanted.

Experimentation is the key.  No one theory seems to answer all the questions.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BobP said:

What do you want the lure to do when retrieving it?   After you get the ballast settled you need to swim it and see if the action is what you want.  The lip seems fairly wide to me, which tends to minimize the side to side excursions the bait will make when ripped.  If it doesn’t suit you after testing, consider narrowing it. 

I'm attempting to get a quick side to side action when I rip it.   As of now I get a slow side to side with a bit of roll.   I attempted to make a bigger lip but that seemed to make it worse.   I will have to try the smaller lip idea. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Musky Glenn said:

Those big flat sides tend to keep it straight in the water instead of allowing it to roll as much as a more rounded shape. Reminds me of the Cranes, Jakes and Grandma's. Good luck.

Yes you are correct I like the jakes and really like crane baits, but don't like the fragile body of the crane.    I will try all these great suggestions and give it another go.  Thanks for the help

If that is what you choose to use as a lip I would put the line tie in the lip not the lure. It also looks a little crooked to me but that could just be the photograph.  You can buy weights with screws in them to attach to the belly, I made my own and they work great, you can move them around plus I made different weight amounts.  Put all the above advise from all the guys to work and you will have a lure and catching fish   this summer. Have fun. And one move at a time.

Wayne