aulrich

Bug profiled soft plastics

I have used plaster to make a jig head mold to pour lead into the cavities.   Now I am making floating jig heads and don't think plaster will do well placed into boiling hot water.  This is the last stage of making a floater using expandable polystyrene beads.  That's the material that I am trying to use to make floaters, but what to make the mold out of is still not yet understood by me.  Any sugguestions would be greatly appreciated.  The walleye run begins in about a month.  I would also like to know if anyone has any do-it brand molds 3/16 size jig head and would like to share them in making floaters.  I have the EPB or Expandle Polystyrene Beads material coming in two days and will share that with whom ever would like to make some.  My reason is I would like to make  at least 20 plus at the same time.  By the way Jann's Netcraft has a great catalog and will send it to your at no charge:www.jannsnetcraft.com/Free2018Catalog.  Good fshing.  I also know some great spots to fish on the maumee that are not open to the public.   Also 10 gallons of EPB makes 10,000 jig heads.  I only need about 100.

Edited by misterfisher
spelled a word wrong.

I think I will use this to make my first attempt at a DIY injection mold. The current plan is to pull out the fly vice and rather than build the fly on a hook I will build it on 1/16 tig wire. For this version I will use the same wire for the legs and forked tail probably a bit heavy but it should work for this try. But basically I will tie a basic stonefly and then give it a coat or to of clear coat and a trip on the spinner.

I will probably spring for silicon rather than Durham’s putty

The end goal is to match the tail up with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig and bounce it along the bottom of a local river