sdfd29

Do-It Swimbait Head Jig Mold SBH-5-A Question

I recently purchased the SBH-5-A Do-It Swimbait Head Jig Mold. Prior to using the mold, is "smoked" the mold with candle soot. The baits poured well, but it was very difficult to get the baits out of the mold. I tried pulling on the fill sprues, but they broke off. I ended up having to pry the hooks up a little, then prying up on the hook eyes, then prying up on the bait area where the sprue was. Has anyone had any experience with this mold? I think the issue is the keel like area on the bottom of the bait head.

Most of the baits were not affected by the prying, but I had a few that ended up with hooks that were loose (not bad, still usable). Just wondering if anyone else had any experience or suggestions.

Thanks,

Basseducer hit it on the head. I just poured 500 heads of different sizes, and mine pour full and fall out. What I did with mine was lightly with a wire wheel and a Dremel, break the edge of the profile of the mold halves. Sometimes when the molds are sand cast, there are some small burrs, that keep the head from releasing itself from the mold cavity. Finally like I've mentioned a million times here, forget candle soot and use Drop Out made by Frankford Arsenal. This is the best stuff for lead pouring on the market in my opinion. Your pours will fill easier, and better and your jigs will release easier as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I am using soft lead, so not sure that is the issue. I will try what Cadman suggested and work on the mold a little.

One thing that was peculiar was that the baits stayed in the same side of the mold. It never opened up with the baits on the opposite side of the mold, so the imperfection may be the issue. 

7 hours ago, DaBehr said:

I use the  Frankfort Drop out spray (Barlow's sells it) and it makes a big difference. When the heads start to stick again I spray again!

The rocking them back and forth helps a lot.

https://www.barlowstackle.com/Casting-Release-Spray--P361.aspx 

I also found it on Amazon for $9.99.

This mold is the worst I have ever had for lead sticking inside. Drop out has not helped much. I believe it is from the squared off bottom. I don't want to round off the mold as I like how the bait is flat and helps stand it up on the bottom. Using hard lead definitely makes it even harder to get out. It should not be this hard and nobody should have to "fix" the mold after they buy one.  After the sprue breaks off, I grab the skid and rock it back in forth with pliers, But it messes up the lead visually. :wacko:  

Very disappointed in this mold. I have several of them and they all do it. 

Jeff,

I found it on Amazon yesterday and ordered a can. Thanks for the help.

One thing I have noticed on the baits that I poured is that they have a very small ridge on the 'keel' of the bait. You can see it upon close inspection and can feel it when you run your fingernail across it. I am going to polish the mold like Cadman suggested and try it again.

10 hours ago, 21xdc said:

This mold is the worst I have ever had for lead sticking inside. Drop out has not helped much. I believe it is from the squared off bottom. I don't want to round off the mold as I like how the bait is flat and helps stand it up on the bottom. Using hard lead definitely makes it even harder to get out. It should not be this hard and nobody should have to "fix" the mold after they buy one.  After the sprue breaks off, I grab the skid and rock it back in forth with pliers, But it messes up the lead visually. :wacko:  

Very disappointed in this mold. I have several of them and they all do it. 

Contact Do-it, and give them a chance to make it right.

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Contact Do-it, and give them a chance to make it right.

You must not understand... I have several of these molds and they all do it... It is a design flaw... Not just 1 bad mold. If they replace all 3 of mine, I'll just have 3 more with the same problem.... 

On 1/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, cadman said:

Basseducer hit it on the head. I just poured 500 heads of different sizes, and mine pour full and fall out. What I did with mine was lightly with a wire wheel and a Dremel, break the edge of the profile of the mold halves. Sometimes when the molds are sand cast, there are some small burrs, that keep the head from releasing itself from the mold cavity. Finally like I've mentioned a million times here, forget candle soot and use Drop Out made by Frankford Arsenal. This is the best stuff for lead pouring on the market in my opinion. Your pours will fill easier, and better and your jigs will release easier as well.

1 hour ago, 21xdc said:

You must not understand... I have several of these molds and they all do it... It is a design flaw... Not just 1 bad mold. If they replace all 3 of mine, I'll just have 3 more with the same problem.... 

Reread Cadman's post.

14 hours ago, sdfd29 said:

Jeff,

I found it on Amazon yesterday and ordered a can. Thanks for the help.

One thing I have noticed on the baits that I poured is that they have a very small ridge on the 'keel' of the bait. You can see it upon close inspection and can feel it when you run your fingernail across it. I am going to polish the mold like Cadman suggested and try it again.

I get the same tiny ridge on many of the jigs I pour.  I believe it is a result of a less than perfect match where the two mold halves meet.  I don't think you can do anything to fix the mold and prevent this.  But, you can remove the tiny ridge from the baits you have poured using a flat edge.

23 hours ago, sdfd29 said:

That is exactly what I'm saying. When the molds are made, I believe the two flat matching halves that close together might have an imperfection. This could be from machining them as a last op and not checking for burrs. All I would do is run your finger to see if there are any burrs. If there are , I would use either a wire brush on a dremel, or take some 600 grit sandpaper and gently sand the edges into the cavity. I can tell you that the more you use the mold the better and looser the cavity gets, but this is after hundreds of pours. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 21xdc said:

I have poured over 1000 on each mold and they stick just as much as when brand new.... :rolleyes:

So why not just fix the problem after you've poured so many to make it easier on yourself instead of repeating the same problem. I cleaned my mold and it pours and releases just fine.

3 hours ago, 21xdc said:

I'm not sure that that is the problem, But looks like when I get time I will try that.  I have 100's of do it molds and this one is the only one that  does it.  

It's worth a try. I have a Brush Jig mold like that, that won't release. I polished it and all and still it sticks in the cavity. I have a feeling that the draft angles of the mold are off. And there is no way I can fix that one. I bought a new one and it is fine.

• Like 1

UPDATE: I have followed CADMANs suggestions from above.

1) I used a dremel tool with a rubbing compound and pad to smooth the edges on the mold. Partially to remove the candle soot and also to smooth the edges.

2) I purchased a can of the Drop Out (from Amazon $9.99 and free shipping). I applied it to the cold mold as directed.

After these steps, I poured 25 jig heads. Everyone was removed by pulling on the sprue. They were not loose, but they came out very easily. If you are having issues with this mold, I would suggest that you follow CADMAN's suggestions above. It will be worth your time and effort.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Edited by sdfd29

3 hours ago, sdfd29 said:

UPDATE: I have followed CADMANs suggestions from above.

1) I used a dremel tool with a rubbing compound and pad to smooth the edges on the mold. Partially to remove the candle soot and also to smooth the edges.

2) I purchased a can of the Drop Out (from Amazon $9.99 and free shipping). I applied it to the cold mold as directed.

After these steps, I poured 25 jig heads. Everyone was removed by pulling on the sprue. They were not loose, but they came out very easily. If you are having issues with this mold, I would suggest that you follow CADMAN's suggestions above. It will be worth your time and effort.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Nothing is perfect in life and as much as I don't want to rework something that is new, in the end it is worth it to me. Because if I fix it I have learned something new and can apply it next time. If I don't fix it , I'm no worse off. I'm glad it worked out for you and made it somewhat easier or more tolerable.

• Like 1

Has anyone herd from do it on this sticking issue. I have tried to get a hold of them with no luck on a response. I did not want to start polishing and sanding the mold  and then be no better off and be stuck with a bad mold thats unreturnable.  Any help is greatly appreciated. I have tried extremes for the lead as far as very soft to very hard and made no difference.  Mine is super tight to get the heads out to the point you will actually tear the sprue off before it even loosens at all. Also what have you guys found for heavy wire hooks to fit this. I am running the owner and they seem to fit well but really like the gamakatsu 604 but was told they wont work unless you run a 6/0 size.  I did try a 4/0 in the 1/4 and seemed to work so not to sure myself. Thanks for the help is advance. 

mikemack01;

Have you used the Frankford Arsenal Drop Out on the mold??? I think this  corrected my issue, even though I did a light buffing of my mold. I did not take much material (if any) off of my mold as I used a soft pad with the buffing compound on a Dremel tool. I think that the drop out did the trick by itself. 

I will give it a try and see if it helps. I have never used that before and honestly never need to before. All my molds seem to work fine. This is the first issue I have run into. I did talk t a gentlemen who seemed knowledgeable at doit and he said there aware of the issue but it is within their standards so there is nothing they are going to do to fix it. he said all the molds they use are the same way at the company and its just to square on the bottom and does not release well. He also said this was originally a plastic head mold it was designed (copied) from and not designed as a lead pour mold. I will try the release agent and see if its better and thanks for the info.