sdfd29

Do-It Swimbait Head Jig Mold SBH-5-A Question

14 hours ago, Painter1 said:

Gami 604 works well as does a good coat of the lead release paint in every recess. pull up from the hook bend a bit, grab sprue with NN pliers. Problem solved.  I made 50 of them this past weekend 

Have you been able to get the 4/0 Gamakatsu 604 in the 1/4oz head that it is straight?? I'm asking because I sent my mold back, I could not use the 604  and I didn't even think of the VMC 7150. If you are getting the 4/0 604 in the 1/4oz cavity then I may have got a defective mold.

Hi the 4/0 do sit slightly crooked. It lines up straight when the hook sits in the slot for the wire keepers. You have to go to a 6/0 size in the gamakatsu's to get a long enough are near the eye for it to be perfectly straight. It is very minimal in the smaller sizes if thats what you want to use. I use them and they work fine being only slightly crooked. I have been using the owner 5318 just hard to find the larger sized in bulk or more than 100 pcs. Hope you get a better releasing mold than I did when yu get your new one. I got no help from do it even the guy I talked to said they are a pain and to use the Drop Out stuff and you have to deal with it.  Pretty sad. His name was Lloyd and seemed very knowledgeable. 

4 hours ago, mikemac01 said:

Hi the 4/0 do sit slightly crooked. It lines up straight when the hook sits in the slot for the wire keepers. You have to go to a 6/0 size in the gamakatsu's to get a long enough are near the eye for it to be perfectly straight. It is very minimal in the smaller sizes if thats what you want to use. I use them and they work fine being only slightly crooked. I have been using the owner 5318 just hard to find the larger sized in bulk or more than 100 pcs. Hope you get a better releasing mold than I did when yu get your new one. I got no help from do it even the guy I talked to said they are a pain and to use the Drop Out stuff and you have to deal with it.  Pretty sad. His name was Lloyd and seemed very knowledgeable. 

The 5318 is a light wire hook so may as well stick with the 32746. The idea of the 604 is to get a more robust hook, a 5318 is a great hook but doesn't help since it is a light wire hook. Now the VMC 7150 fits, I may go and get that mold later on and go with the VMC but for now I have other options.

3 hours ago, smalljaw said:

The 5318 is a light wire hook so may as well stick with the 32746. The idea of the 604 is to get a more robust hook, a 5318 is a great hook but doesn't help since it is a light wire hook. Now the VMC 7150 fits, I may go and get that mold later on and go with the VMC but for now I have other options.

Yeah I understand the 604 is much heavier but the owner is much tronger than the Mustad model you specified. If you want a perfectly straight hook then you are going to have to go to 6/0 in the 604 models. 

Sure glad to help. I have had my best luck with the Owners personally being better quality and stronger than the mustads or eagle claws. If your doing large mouth the 6/0 gamakatsu will work for all sizes but I am river fishing small mouth and walleye they are a little large. To each his own I guess. The smaller gamakatsu will work but are a slight pain to get lined up because they will be slightly cocked  but not terrible. The bigest issue I have found is just to get the heads to release from the mold. Just got some Drop Out so we will see how that works.